2.16

SITTING IN A PLAIN and sad courtroom was the last thing Laura had planned for her day. It was the look that John B gave the friends as he was walked in with handcuffs and a sharp bruise around his eye that made tears form in Laura's eyes.

Her eyes were locked onto him, although the words being said in the courtroom were going in one ear and out the other. JJ was holding her hand tightly, knuckles turning white on both of their hands.

The only words that processed to her in that moment was "charged with murder". Laura's breath got stuck in her throat as she took a deep breath, before JJ let go of her hand and wrapped an arm around her waist instead.

And then it struck. "If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty."

Laura was the first on her feet, staring down Ward Cameron. "This is your fault! I have no family all because of you!"

No one stopped her. Everyone knew how angered the teen was in this moment and that stopping her would be the thing that would set her off even more.

JJ was yelling at the judge, their words clamoring together as they yelled at two separate people. Sarah was running up trying to get to John B as police pushed her back. An officer had grabbed Laura's arm before guiding her out of the room as the Camerons just stared at her blank faced.

Laura overheard some other families sympathizing for the Camerons. Explaining that what they have gone through is terrible and that they were thankful the system worked. If only they knew what truly happened.

Kaira stepped forward. "Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made for you and people like you." She pointed her finger at the man, anger ripping with every word.

"He'll have his day in court." The man responded. "A jury will decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court! You should, 'cause you're a murderer! You have a lot of nerve showing up to court." Kiara continued, as the rest of the group stood there shocked at her outburst.

Ward put his hand out falsely sympathetic, "I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay? I know he's got you fooled. He's got you all fooled." Ward looked directly at Laura.

"You're the reason my dad is gone and now my brother, you asshole!" Laura lunged forward before being grabbed by Shoupe and Thomas. "Don't touch me!"

"Show some respect!"

JJ pointed over Laura's shoulder at Ward. "Muzzle your goddamn dog! Why don't you take the Kooks down for a change, Shoupe?"

"You wanna get arrested? Get out! You need to go." Shoupe yelled at the group.

"It's not a coincidence your daughter is sitting with us!" Kiara yelled, before they all started walking off together.

Laura was muttering under her breath while tears streamed down her face. JJ slowed down to be next to her as she was behind the rest of the group. He grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb on the top of it as they walked together silently.

The overwhelming feeling in Laura's chest was a lot to handle emotionally. She sat in her dark room as the sound of pouring rain flooded her ears, blocking out some of the thoughts constantly swirling.

Laura knew her friends were outside arguing, but once again the rain did a tremendous job at blocking out things she didn't want to hear. And she knew nobody else wanted her to hear.

But soon it was getting louder, and louder, and louder. Specifically a blond headed boy who she would forever hold a place in her heart for. Then the door slammed shut to come inside, and that's when she knew something was off.