1.18

THERE ARE ONLY THREE kinds of relationships in the animal kingdom. The first is commensalism. One example... fish finding hiding spots in coral reefs. Fish profit, but life for the coral doesn't change.

Then, there's mutualism... a relationship where both animals benefit from each other. The tricky thing about animals is you don't always know what kind of relationship you're in.

And then there's relationship number three. The parasitic.

"This is your room." Sarah said, pointing to a door next to John B's.

Laura walked inside, looking around at the high ceilings and windows, covered with grey curtains. The walls were covered in a peach paint, and beach paintings. There was a queen bed sitting in the middle of the farthest wall with blue sheets and pillows.

Dark, wooden cabinets sat on either side of the bed along with a large dark wooden dresser. It gave a vintage, beachy, vibe that Laura wasn't very fond of, but a room is a room. And Lord knows she needs it.

"Well, my room is just upstairs, so if you need anything... You know where to find me." Sarah said before leaving the room.

"Thanks..." Laura responded quietly, but she was already gone. She made her way to John B's room, and plopped onto his bed, onto her back. "I hate it here already."

"Why?" He responded, laughing, laying down opposite of her.

"It's too... preppy rich kid. Just not used to it, I guess." Laura said, looking at her brother.

"You might as well get used to it." Laura shrugged at the words, then sat up on the bed.

"I gotta get out of here. Let's go." Then, she got up and immediately left the house.

The twins made their way to The Wreck restaurant, meeting up with the others. Laura stepped in first, seeing Kiara doing work, while Pope and JJ sat at a table. None of them caught sight of the girl, so she walked over and sat down.

"What the hell happened with you two?" JJ asked the second he caught sight of her. Laura sighed and leaned back in the chair she was sitting in.

"Ward Cameron talked to Sheriff Peterkin. He's now our legal guardian." Laura said unamused..

"I'm sorry, you're staying where?" Kiara asked, walking behind the counter.

"Tannyhill." John B replied.

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron." Kiara asked disgustingly.

"Okay, look, the only reason we're living there is because her dad bailed us out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where we were about to go if Ward didn't--"

Pope cut off John B. "Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?"

Laura scoffed. "I wish."

"What about those little golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ asked the two.

"Does it come with a sweater vest and preppy dresses, or do you have to buy them on your own?" Pope asked, a smug smile on his lips.

"Very funny." Laura said, leaning over the table and hitting the hat off of Pope's head.

"Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her." Kiara said, her voice dropping. Laura put her elbows on the table, and dropped her head into her hands, looking out the window.

"Bro, just own it. She got you." JJ said with a smirk, walking around the table, behind Laura.

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah or Briar." Kiara stated, causing Laura to snap her head up and raise her hand.