1.27

A BOAT SAT OUTSIDE of the Cameron's dock, holding the four teenagers concerned for their friend. Laura sat on the floor of the small boat, knees tucked into her chest as she kept zoning out continuously.

The other three were standing, watching to make sure John B doesn't do anything he'd regret.

"What now? We just go up to the front door and ask, 'Hey, have you seen John B?'" JJ said sarcastically.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible. Look, we can play dumb." Kiara replied, slightly panicked.

"Play dumb?"

"It's pretty late."

Kiara turned to face Pope. "Look, I've never seen John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops." She finished, turning to look at JJ.

Laura's head popped up in confusion, "And say what? I'm worried about my brother because he's going on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed my dad? They'd never believe us."

"Hey, I see Ward." Pope chimed in, ignoring Laura's first comment of the night.

Laura stood up, walking over to Pope with the other two. Kiara took the binoculars from Pope, looking inside as Laura peeked over the girl's shoulder.

"Doesn't look dead to me, let's go home." Pope shrugged.

The three all turned to face him quickly, confused. "Uh... Okay. Obviously Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay? Plus, I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours."

"Yeah, well our friend is in trouble." Kiara striked back.

"I'm in trouble!" Pope hesitated, "Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."

Kiara sighed disappointedly. "Okay, so that's it? In a time in need, you're just gonna bail? You're just gonna bail?"

"Okay, yo, guys, can we not do this right now?" JJ said, putting an arm around Laura's shoulder after seeing her sad expression.

"Hey, I have a scholarship interview in the morning. I can't–"

Kiara cuts him off. "Okay, well, what about John B?"

"Why is it always about John B?" Pope started, raising his voice.

JJ sat on the ledge, putting his head into a hand, and Laura followed suit and sat down as well, concerned for the two who were arguing. It got quiet for a moment, letting thoughts flood back into Laura's mind, but only a moment.

"It's not always about John B. You're so stupid! It'd be any of you in this situation!" Kiara finally said, looking around at the three.

"Oh, bullshit!" Pope exclaimed.

"Guys–"

"This is about friendship!" Kiara shouted. "Look, this is about Pogue's for life."

Pope sighed, "What about forensic pathology, huh? That's my life! Everything I've worked for. Could you stop with the moral high ground bullshit?"

JJ stood up, staying in place. "Pope, come on."

"No, no. She has no room to talk." Pope turned to face Kiara again. "Where were you when Big John went missing? You weren't there. You weren't there for John B. You weren't there for any of us. Remember your Kook year? Yeah, you forgot about us. Now you feel guilty."

"Give me a break!" Kiara yelled, pushing Pope back. "Is that what you need? Do you need a break? Move!"

JJ sprung up, running over to the two who were arguing on the opposite side of the boat. "Hey! Cut it out, all right? If I'm the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom. Bow, no. Go!"