2.08

LAURA'S KNEE BOUNCED AS she sat in front of Shoupe as he listened to their crazed story of the gun. It was much later in the day now, the sky casting dark blue, almost black over the city.

Shoupe sighed, looking at the gun, and then up at the teenagers. "So y'all are telling me that this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?" His voice was calm, which scared Laura.

"That's exactly what we're telling you Shoupe." JJ responded, pressing his lips together in hope that the sheriff in front of them will believe the group.

Pope stepped in, "And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin."

"I– And where's that corpse again?"

Kiara shook her head. "Didn't you look?"

"I checked by the hospital. I went by his house. He was out."

Laura shook her head, her knee still bouncing with anxiety. "He was out? Shoupe, listen to yourself. It makes perfect sense!"

"No shit, Shoupe. Cause he's dead!" JJ yelled, resting a hand on Laura's shoulder, the other moving around with his words.

Shoupe rose his voice. "Hold on. Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide."

Briar stood up from her chair. "What are you talking about?"

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or are you just gonna sit on your ass?" Kiara began, getting more and more irritated with each word. Laura could tell.

JJ took of his hat, throwing it onto the desk. "He'll sit there and wax that mustache. Is that even real?"

"I'll wax this–" Shoupe cut himself off, not wanting to set off his temper, Laura noticed.

Pope yelled, "Shut up, JJ!"

Shoupe got up, and walked over to the office door and opened it. He stood in the doorway and looked at the five teenagers.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt his feelings?" JJ asked sarcastically.

"Shut up!" Briar yelled this time.

Shoupe pointed out the door. "Get out. I got work to do. And y'all are smelling up my damn office."

Laura watched as Kiara stood up as tears started to form in the edges of her eyes. She walked over to Shoupe and paused in front of the man. "Did Ward bribe you? This doesn't make any sense."

"You ain't gonna do shit." JJ grabbed Laura's hand, walking out of the office with her trailing behind.

Laura sniffled, not realizing that tears began forming in her eyes. JJ pulled her into his side, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as they walked out of the sheriff's department. She let out a breath, trying to stop the tears from falling. This was her brother's life on the line and she didn't know what to do.

"I just don't get it."

Laura sat with her head in her hands as she sat in the dark bedroom in JJ's house. His dad wasn't home and they had no idea where he was, and Laura was getting sick of her own empty house.

She sighed, lifting her head up. "There is so much evidence against Ward, and all they have against John B is what? Ward's word? That's complete bullshit."

JJ was pacing the room, keeping his hands on his head, just as stressed out as the other. Laura looked at him, before standing up and hugging him with no warning. It didn't take long for him to return the action, knowing that what she was going through was terrible.

It was for all of them.

The boy made his grip tighter, trying to find even more comfort through Laura. It was the moment of calmness they were reaching for, for so long. The two were lucky that they could be that for each other.

But the moment didn't last as long as they would have liked. The front door was slammed open, and immediately a deep voice called out for JJ.

"Shit. LB, climb out the window. I leave it open." Laura looked at him confused, before snapping her head over to the window.

Sure enough it was cracked open, barely even noticeable. It hurt her heart knowing that he had to do that. JJ went to open his bedroom door.

"Absolutely not. You're coming with me." Laura said, lifting the window open.

JJ sighed, letting go of the door handle. "It's gonna be worse if I'm not here and I come back in like two days."

"JJ. You've been gone for longer than a week before. Let's go."

Finally the blonde gave in although it didn't take much convincing. Laura climbed out first, and then JJ. Once they passed the corner of the house, they heard his bedroom slam open. Laura let out a breath, grabbing JJ's hand.

"I'm gonna see if we can go to Briar's house."

And there they were. The blonde girl was in her pajamas, hair thrown into a messy bun as she opened the front door. Laura smiled at her, thanking her briefly for allowing the two to stay at their house.

"Well, my parents don't know. So keep it down."

The couple made their way up the stairs, trailing behind Briar. They made sure to stay quiet as they passed her parents and Topper's bedroom.

It wasn't that they were unsuccessful, but more or less someone seemed to be spying. Topper walked out of his bedroom, clearing his throat.

He wore his usual disgusting smirk. "Thought I heard some Pogue's out here."

"Dude, shut up. Laura is just here to pick up her hoodie. They'll be like two minutes. Max." Briar said, continuing to walk down the hallway, opening her bedroom door.

The two followed, closing the door behind them. Topper laughed, yelling through the door. "Yeah, I'll make sure of it."

"He won't do jack shit." Briar said, flopping down onto her bed, resting her head on a pillow and scrolling through her phone. "So, why'd you guys come here instead of the chateau?"

"My dad."

Briar sat up, looking with concern. "Are you okay? I have a first aid kit in my bathroom because of– I'm clumsy. Always falling into shit."

Although the way she was talking wasn't convincing at all. Laura knew what happened at home, but JJ didn't. And that was her best friend. She wasn't going to share that information. It's not hers to share.

Rummaging was heard outside of Briar's bedroom door, and she immediately stood up. She pointed at a door in the corner of her room. "Go in the bathroom."

She followed the two in, locking the door and turning on the shower. The sound of Briar's bedroom door squeaking open was heard, and the blonde's body immediately tensed.

A knock sounded on her bathroom door. "Briar, what's going on in there?" It was her mother. You could see her body relax.

"I'm just taking a shower. Am I aloud? I'll be out in a minute." Attitude sunk through each word, as she was obviously over her parents.

"Honey, I don't need the attitude. Topper just said you had Laura and some other boy over. You know you can't right?" Her mom's voice also sounded tense, a little too stern.

"Mhm."

"Okay. Goodnight."

Briar groaned. "I'm going to murder him. I swear. He's stressing me out. I'm going to bed."

And that was the rest of their night.