1.28

SWEAT STARTED TO FORM on Laura's forehead the more they ran, and she began to grow more tired and tired. They didn't have to run too far, as they found shelter in a warehouse holding many old objects that were just thrown away.

JJ grabbed her hand, pulling her out from the view of the sun. The two sat down on a couch, not even worrying about what it had been through. Laura leaned forward with her head in her hands, worrying about her brother.

But it didn't last long as Laura heard the sound of a plane, and she stood up immediately, running outside of the warehouse. Her gaze followed the sound, and there it was. The plane with the gold.

"There goes the gold." Said Pope, looking over at the other three.

Laura sighed, dropping her head down to look at the floor. JJ kicked an old chair, causing it to break.

Pope grabbed a brick, throwing it at the wall, and began to break anything he could. Laura flinched, taking a step back. He began hyperventilating, falling onto a couch, crying.

"Pope." Said Kiara, walking over to him.

"Yeah, dude. I was wondering when this was gonna happen." JJ pulled a juul out of his pocket, holding it out to Pope. "Here you go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

"JJ, you know he doesn't smoke." Said Kiara.

But either way, Pope grabbed it, which surprised Laura and Kiara. JJ snickered and looked over at the girls. "Well, maybe not until today."

JJ fell down onto the couch next to Pope, watching his movements, as did the two girls. They shared a look, both covered in concern for the boy.

"Yeah, what is that gonna help?" Kiara asked, signaling towards the juul.

Pope sighed, "I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every– it's gone. It's not gonna happen."

"You did that for us?" Asked Kiara, voice breaking.

"No, not for us." Pope stood up, getting closer to Kiara. "For nothing."

"I'm here for you, Pope." Laura looked over at JJ, giving him an agitated look. JJ stood up, wrapping an arm around Pope's shoulders. "Welcome to my world, okay?"

"JJ–"

The blonde let go, beginning to get angry. "What, Kie? He's right. It doesn't matter anymore."

Kiara went to reply, but the conversation was cut short as Pope's gaze fell onto John B standing there, causing Laura, Kiara, and JJ to follow his gaze. The group immediately ran over to see what had happened.

Blood was covering his hands, and Laura looked him in the eyes, his face showing no emotion while she was panicked. She grabbed his wrist, holding up his hand slightly. Laura stared down at the blood, not being able to get any words out.

"Dude, whose blood is that?" JJ asked, standing behind Laura, looking over her shoulder at John B's bloody hands. JJ grabbed the boy's arm. "Hey, you okay, man?"

But before John B could even get the chance to respond, the sound of police sirens approaching snapped them all out of the funk they were in.

"Shit."

JJ grabbed Laura's hand tightly while the two crouched behind the couch, watching closely at the police car passing by them. Laura squeezed the blonde's hand tightly as her anxiety was getting worse.

They stayed there quietly, waiting for a time they could leave again. All they could hear was each other's loud, anxious, breathing. JJ and Laura were close, still clutching onto each other as if they could slip away at any given moment.