twenty-seven

justin seemed to be a bit hesitant as he walked into zayn's apartment, and zayn couldn't blame him considering the fact that the last time he was here he did get punched by zayn after all.

"why are you in love with harry?" zayn immediately breaks the ice by saying this.

"i don't know," justin says. "i don't know, okay. i know that's not the answer you want. but i can't help it, i just am."

"tell me the truth, justin. i promise i won't be mad," zayn says. "just talk to me."

"you punched me the last time i tried to talk," justin points out.

"i won't do that anymore," zayn swears.

"okay," justin sighs. "you might want to sit down for this."

zayn does, eager to learn about what justin is about to tell him. he's more eager because at least he'd get to learn a bit about harry's past.

"harry and i... we met a long time ago," justin starts.

the first time justin and harry met, they were both teenagers. justin was sixteen while harry was fifteen. they were both sent to a training camp which just turned out to be a place for conversion therapy.

justin's father had found out his son was bisexual by catching him kissing a guy when he came to pick him up from school. his father had been angry, he always expected perfection from justin and he believed that being gay was a flaw.

so when he saw that there was a camp that could set him on the "right" pact, he showed no hesitation and sent his son there.

justin was miserable, it turned out to be just a bible retreat that emphasized on how wrong liking the same gender was.

but when you're in a camp surrounded by people with the same sexuality as you, somethings were bound to happen no matter how the camp officials felt about it and the rules they made.

so justin had that in mind to make himself feel better. he planned to have some fun, but then he met him.

harry styles. recently out gay kid that his mother had sent him there for a second chance of being normal. but he didn't seem like he belonged to the place, he was always happy, he smiled to everyone and everyone loved him.

justin would listen to any topic concerning the angelic boy. he heard from a couple of guys how they were planning to ask him out, and a lot of banter regarding him. justin was also determined to ask him out too.

he had it all planned out and anything but when he finally summoned up courage to do it, he froze and wasn't able to come up with any words to say with harry. he thought harry was going to burst out laughing, because he imagined harry as being bitchy, only going for the super confident guys.

he walks up to harry one morning. in the camp, they had a recreation room that had various activities. harry had been painting before justin walks right into his view.

"do you need something?" harry asks, wondering why justin was just staring at him. he's used to people staring at him, it's either they want trouble or they want him.

"h-hello," justin stammers.

"hi," harry responds.

"um," justin tries to think of a conversation starter. "this place sucks right?"

"well, obviously," harry chuckles. his laughter makes justin feel relaxed a little bit.

"how many weeks do you have left?" justin asks.

"just two," harry replies. "i'm not looking forward to going back home."

"really? could anywhere be worse than this place?" justin chuckles.

"i'd probably be sent back here anyway," harry says. "i'm still gay."

justin laughs loudly. harry gives him a smile.

"what's your name?" harry asks.

"i'm justin," justin replies.

"justin, huh? i'm harry. i have a feeling we're going to get along," harry says, giving him a friendly smile. justin's heart does a little flip. that smile, he knows his life isn't going to be the same anymore after meeting harry.

...

"i didn't know you got sent to conversion camp," zayn says, after justin tells his story to him.

"there's a lot of things you don't know about me zayn," justin says.

"why didn't you say anything to me? why didn't you tell me you knew harry? and why didn't he say anything too?" zayn asks, just as confused as ever.

"what could i have said zayn? harry and i were teenagers but i was in love with him. he was my first kiss too. i lost contact with him after the camp was over only for me to find him years later and he acts like he doesn't remember me. he never even acknowledged me once," justin rants. "he sleeps with everyone else but doesn't look at me twice. then you transfer here and you're suddenly dating him? what could i have possibly said."

"the truth, justin. i would have understood if you had been honest with me right from the start. but you tried to sabotage my relationship with harry, you made him doubt himself and i admit, i had a fault in that happening. and you were stalking him. i'm sorry about what happened in the past but that doesn't excuse your behavior," zayn says.

"you wouldn't have understood," justin shakes his head. "you're my best friend zayn, i was torn. i didn't like the way harry treated you and at the same time, i was jealous because i wished i were you."

"did you know about his family?" zayn asks.

"a bit. back at the camp he didn't want to go home because his mom was marrying a very homophobic man. and he was going to have a step-brother he couldn't stand," justin replies.

"zeke," zayn says.

"yes, i think that was his name," justin says.

"that's who put harry in the hospital," zayn says, anger filling him up as he thinks of how he failed to protect harry once again. "now his mom wouldn't let me see him."

"his mom had always been a bítch," justin says.

zayn nods. "i might not be able to forgive some of the things you've done, or trust you for hiding this from me for this long. but, i want to save harry. and i need all the help i can get."

justin nods. "what are you planning to do?"

"first, i'm going to find that zeke bastard," zayn says. "and i'll make him pay for what he did."

...

i'm so sorry guys i haven't updated in months and i know this chapter is short but it's just for me to get back into the groove of more frequent updates. i have a lot planned so stay tuned. please vote and comment!