thirteen

one year earlier.

...

"so i leave town for a week and zayn starts dating a slag the moment he transfers?" justin asks. it's just the three of them, liam, justin and him in zayn's dorm. zayn has known justin since he was a kid, liam and him became friends much later when zayn started to smoke weed. it was one of the reasons zayn chose this college, because he's friends with two people in it already.

"don't call him that," zayn says, defending harry. "and we're not dating yet."

"good. there's still hope," he says. "liam, how could you let this happen?"

"i just wanted him to get laid, i didn't think he'd actually fall for him," liam defends himself.

"what the hell is wrong with you both? you're talking about him like he isn't human. you don't know anything about him,"

"and you know him? you literally just met him zayn. you have no idea what you're dealing with. you've gotten laid, that's what he's for so you're better off cutting ties with him now,"

"dude, fuck you," zayn says to justin, getting annoyed with him.

"c'mon zayn. liam tell him how much of an idiot he's being,"

"i'm actually on zayn's side in this. i've spoken to harry a couple of times and he isn't that bad. if anyone can make him a boyfriend, it's zayn," liam says.

"thank you liam."

"y'all are tripping," justin says. "harry styles is definitely not boyfriend material."

"i'll prove you wrong," zayn insists.

"dude, this isn't going to end well," justin shakes his head. "don't say i didn't warn you."

later, zayn goes to harry's apartment. harry had invited him over, and of course he couldn't say no. they watch a movie, order pizza and when it starts to get late harry asks him to stay over.

zayn meanwhile is a bit distracted, he's thinking of a way he could ask harry to officially be his boyfriend. it feels like the right time so he decides to just get over it.

"harry?" he starts. harry turns to him, waiting for him to continue. "do you want to go out with me?"

"like now? where are we going?"

zayn chuckles, shaking his head.

"i meant, would you want to be my boyfriend?" he asks. there's a long silence that follows after it.

"um..." harry trails, looking confused.

zayn's heart starts beating a million times per minute. he was sure that harry would say yes, but has he misread what they have together? he thought it meant something but maybe it's just not what he thought.

"it's fine if you don't want to," he clarifies.

"no, no, it's not that. it's just-"

"-you don't like me like that? i get it," zayn says, looking away, feeling very hurt.

"let me finish," harry chuckles. "i kind of thought we were already dating."

he looks away, blushing after saying that.

"oh, really?"

"yeah, i mean we hang out a lot, we're intimate and we aren't seeing other people. i just assumed that's what a relationship meant," he says.

"you're right," zayn agrees. "we've been dating all this time. i was just focused on titles. what we have is more special than any title."

"sap," harry says. he's smiling and blushing still, zayn pokes at his dimples.