five

zayn is out on another date with caleb. this time, they've gone roller skating. it's been a month since they've met each other and things have been great. they see each other almost everyday and zayn genuinely adores his company.

but today, caleb doesn't seem to be in the mood. he's not replying zayn with the enthusiasm he usually has and he's just answering with one worded replies. he didn't even last long in the skating rink, telling zayn that he was tired so they just sat at their table.

"okay, what is it?" zayn questions. "are you mad at me? did i do something wrong?"

the way caleb kind of hesitates before talking makes zayn think that he did do something wrong.

"it's just, we've been kind of hanging out for a month now," he starts. "i know you just got out of a toxic relationship but i don't know where i stand with you."

"caleb," zayn reaches his hand out to grab the smaller boys own. "i like you."

"i know but is that it?" caleb asks. "because i like you too and i want more than this."

zayn should ask him out without hesitation, caleb is the perfect guy for him and he doesn't know why he hasn't asked him out yet.

actually no, he knows why he hasn't asked him yet. he still has feelings for harry, a lot and he's scared that getting into another relationship while he's still in love with his ex might not be such a good idea.

"your silence tells me everything i need to know," caleb says, sounding hurt. he gets up on his feet and looks zayn in the eye before turning to leave.

"caleb wait!" zayn calls after him, running to catch up with him.

"what? please don't waste my time anymore than you have. if you make up your mind on if you want to be with me, you know where to find me," he says, walking away from zayn.

zayn doesn't follow him this time. he just watches him leave. he understands where the other guy is coming from, he can't decide on if he wants to be with him or not and he doesn't want to rush to make a decision.

on paper, caleb is perfect for him. the other guy is gorgeous, definitely zayn's type, has an amazing personality and he's fun to be with.

zayn is attracted to him so he doesn't understand why he won't just ask him out. it's simple.

but the thoughts of his ex-boyfriend, harry clouds his mind. he's not sure if he can get over him. he knows he should, but harry has a huge hold over him. it's why he never left him no matter how much harry hurt and cheated on him.

he sighs in frustration, running his hand through his hair. he brings out his phone and opens up a contact to send a text.

what have you done to me harry?

...

harry is shocked when he gets a text alert from zayn. previously, his ex-boyfriend had blocked him to stop him from contacting him. and now apparently zayn is texting him? does this mean that zayn is finally willing to take him back?

he opens the text and frowns at the vague content. he decides to text back.

harry: hi zayn! it's nice to hear from you again. i'm not sure what you mean by that though, maybe we can discuss this over coffee?

he bites his lip as he sends the text, hoping that he doesn't sound too desperate. who's he kidding? when it comes to zayn he's completely desperate.

he waits for a reply for a minute only to see that zayn had left him on read.

he feels hurt, and he's not able to control himself when tears start streaming down his face. for a month now, he's been feeling shitty over ruining their relationship for good now and he hoped that zayn would finally talk to him. his hope was slowly dying down till he got the text that zayn just sent. and now he's not going to reply?