three

the rest of the night goes by in a blur. zayn can only recall a few details. he remembers kissing harry on the dance floor and feeling good about it, he remembers harry kissing back with more fervor. he remembers harry pulling him away out of the club and the disapproving looks from justin.

the next day he wakes up in familiar sheets. he turns around to see a naked body next to him. he can already tell from the hair that it's harry.

"fuck," he swears. this wasn't supposed to happen, he meant it this time. he was supposed to let go of harry for good.

he gets out of the bed to leave but he remembers that they're in his apartment. he can't avoid talking to harry so he decides to wake him up. he nudges harry but he only stirs for a bit so zayn decides to shake him. harry groans, taking his time to sit up on the bed.

"you always wake up so early," harry whines, still looking like he wanted to go back to sleep.

"it's noon," zayn points at the time on his bedside clock.

"exactly," harry says, yawning. he gets up from zayn's bed, butt naked and starts stretching. zayn can see some marks that he left last night on him and for some reason it makes him feel proud.

"i'm gonna go take a shower," harry says, walking into zayn's bathroom before he can say a word. he comes out a minute later, frowning. "where's all my stuff?"

"i burnt them," zayn replies. in an effort to fully let go of harry, he had burnt all of harry's stuff that he had in the apartment. they never lived together, but harry had slept over so many times so a lot of his things were at zayn's apartment for whenever he spent the night, and sometimes weekend. zayn in a moment of anger, burnt all of harry's things, including his toothbrush, skincare and clothes.

"damn," harry laughs. "well now that we're back together i'll just bring some stuff from my apartment later."

"why on earth would you think that we're back together?" zayn frowns, harry probably got the wrong idea from them sleeping with each other, but in his defense he was very drunk.

harry gives him a confused expression. "are you feeling okay? do you have a hangover?"

"answer the question harry," zayn says, rubbing at his temples.

"don't you remember? you told me that you loved me after we had sex and we should get back together," harry explains.

"for fucks sake," zayn swears. he's really hating his drunk self right now. "i was drunk harry."

"well you know what they say, the drunk mind speaks the sober heart," harry says. "plus you didn't look drunk to me."

"just because i don't act like an idiot and have sex with four different men when i drink doesn't mean that i wasn't drunk," zayn says, throwing a low jab at his exboyfriend.

"you're such a fucking asshole!" harry yells.

"oh of course i'm the asshole, i mean it's not like you cheated and lied to me or anything!" zayn raises his voice too.

"aside from the few times i cheated i've been nothing else but a loving boyfriend,"

"are you fucking listening to yourself? a loving boyfriend wouldn't cheat on his boyfriend!"

"well why do you keep taking me back then? if you're only going to fucking hold it over me for the rest of my life,"

"i'm not taking you back harry. not this time,"

"i'm not going to let you dump me the one time i was actually being loyal! i told you the truth zayn, i didn't fucking sleep with that guy,"

"i don't care! i don't fucking want to be with you anymore!"

harry starts to sob. "you think i'm just an object don't you? you think i don't have feelings? you can't just... you can't just dump me like this zayn, last night you told me that you loved me. you said that you meant it, i asked you so many times to make sure of it and you said you were never going to leave me."

"harry... you already know how i feel about you. just because i love you doesn't mean we should stay together,"

"that doesn't make sense to me," harry sniffles, rubbing at his face. "people that love each other should stay together. i know i've made a lot of mistakes but i'm trying, okay? i'm trying so hard and i swear i've changed this time."

zayn sighs. he wasn't looking forward to having this conversation again at all. he hated it the first time and he hates it now. there's no easy way to cut someone you love but you know is bad for you from your life.

"i want to have a sense of stability and i can't have that with you. i don't like getting upset whenever i see you talking with a guy wondering if you slept with him or you're planning to. i'm not that kind of person, i hate that you made me be like that," he confesses. "i met a really nice guy yesterday and i think i'd want to try something with him. and i can't do that if i keep doing this on and off thing with you."

"i hate you," harry sobs. "i hate you so much. i hate your stupid face, i hate that you think i'm a whore. i hate the person you met and i hope that he dies."

"harry, stop it. you're better than this," zayn tries to calm his ex boyfriend down. he really hates seeing harry upset but he's doing the right thing. "i'll get you some water and i'll call you an uber, okay?"

"fuck you zayn," harry says, picking up his clothes and wearing them. "you did a shitty thing and i hope you feel bad about it."

zayn does feel bad, but he knows he's doing the right thing. for himself and harry.

harry leaves his apartment still crying and zayn tries so hard to resist calling him back and telling him that everything is going to be okay. he did however, text the guy he met at the club, caleb. they hit it off right away and zayn is optimistic about him.

he hopes he can have something with him and somehow finds a way to move on from harry.

...