sixteen

harry wakes up the next morning, recollecting the previous nights events in an instant. he slept with zayn! they had a conversation! it feels like it was all a dream. he felt like he was about to relapse last night, but seeing zayn again has put the thought of alcohol to the back of his mind.

he looks besides him but the bed is empty, he's wondering where zayn is.

the door opens right as he's about to get up and zayn walks in.

"oh you're awake," zayn says, smiling when he sees him. "how are you feeling?"

"pretty good," he admits.

"yeah? you're not sore or anything? i know i was kind of rough," zayn admits sheepishly, avoiding eye contact. harry smiles fondly at his expression, it reminds him of how zayn was when they first got into their relationship.

"you're always rough," harry points out. "but i'm used to it, i prefer it."

zayn's eyes darken at that, harry thinks he's about to pounce on him for another round, not that he would mind.

"do you... do you maybe want to grab dinner later?" zayn asks. he seems a bit nervous. if harry wasn't sure about what the events of last night meant, he's sure now.

zayn wants to get back together with him.

but it's different this time. usually zayn would take him back while still being angry, but he doesn't look mad at harry anymore. has he truly forgiven him? harry wants to jump up squealing, but he holds it in.

"i'd love to," he says, acting coy.

"great, let's meet at that chinese restaurant at eight," zayn says. "is that fine?"

"yeah, perfect," harry nods. he's already mentally planning the outfit he's going to wear, it has to be something that'll capture zayn's attention. he's already mentally planning it. "i should get going."

"oh already?" zayn looks disappointed.

"yeah, i've got to get ready for our date," harry feels like covering his mouth the moment the words come out. did he just say date? he falls back unto bed, closing his eyes. he doesn't think he can handle zayn's expression if it turns out to be negative or worse, if he's disgusted with the idea.

when he opens his eyes, he's met with zayn staring down at him. he startles for a bit.

"what are you suddenly shy about?" zayn asks, his tone is light, and teasing. "was it because you called it a date?"

harry nods shyly, still trying to avoid eye contact.

"you're cute," zayn says, chuckling. "of course it's a date."

even though harry already knew that their meeting might be a discussion of them getting back together, hearing zayn call it a date is a different feeling all together.

"b-but why?" he asks. "after all i've done... why would you still want to go on a date with me?"

"i'm done over complicating things. i'm choosing to follow my heart from now, and that always leads to you," zayn says. "i know it tends to end in one of us hurt, but i'm willing to do what i never did all those times we got back together."

"i'm willing to trust you," zayn adds, he moves a bit and holds harry's fingers in his. "it shouldn't have taken me this long to realize that."

"but what if i hurt you again?"

"if you think that you're going to hurt me this time, then don't come for dinner. i wouldn't hold it against you," zayn says.

"i'll come," harry says. there's no way he's going to make a mistake again, this time he'll change.