Chapter 13

Mason POV
It's been a few days since Emily walked out on me. I've been so worried about her. She's not answering my calls or texts. I wanted to go over to her place and check on her but I didn't want to upset her. I had to respect the fact she wasn't ready to speak to me yet, but it was killing me.

She's been the only thing on my mind and people have started to ask if I'm ok as I've not been my normal self. I lied and told everyone I was fine but I knew the boys didn't believe me.

Today was Chelsea vs Arsenal and I was on the lineup. I wanted to do my best as always but I couldn't get Emily off my mind. I just wanted to know she was ok at least.

Declan was here supporting us. He saw us before the game to wish us luck but he knew something was wrong with me. I mean we've known each other for so long, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

The game ended 1-0 to Arsenal. I'm not going to lie it wasn't my best game but my head wasn't in it.

"Hey lads, sorry it wasn't a win." Declan said, walking into the changing rooms. The lads thanked him and I kept my head down. "Hey Mase, can I have a word?" Declan asked. I looked up and nodded.

We headed down the corridor where it was quiet and took a seat. "I want the honest answer to this. You have not been yourself recently, even on the pitch today we both know that wasn't your best. The boys have told me that they're concerned about you as well." Declan spoke.

I stayed silent and looked at my hands. How do I tell him?

"Mason, I'm your best friend. Whatever it is you can tell me, we can talk and work it out." He continued. "Emily told me about Leighton." I blurted out.

This time it was Declan's turn to stay silent.

"How? Why?" He stuttered, clearly remembering what his twin went through. "Please don't hate me." I spoke. "I invited Emily over to mine a few days ago, just me and her. We ordered pizza and then I told her I liked her." I explained. "Wait what? You like my sister?!" He said loudly. I nodded slowly. "I've liked her for a while Declan but I didn't want to make things awkward. You're my best friend but my feelings for her were getting stronger." I confessed.

"How did Emily react?" Declan asked, after a few moments silence. "She ended up telling me about Leighton. I put my hand on her leg to console her and she flinched. It clicked that he hit her." I spoke with sadness. "He was vile towards her. I had no idea what he was doing to her, no one did. Once we got her away from him, I promised her I would always protect her." Declan explained. "I wouldn't do anything like that to her Declan, you know that." Declan nodded. "I just can't believe you like her. I know you guys were close but I thought nothing of it." "You're my best friend, I would not date her if you weren't ok with it." I said.

Declan sighed. "To be honest it would take time to get use to the idea of you two but I'd be happy she's with someone like you." He said, with a slight smile.

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. I can't believe he's fine with this. I thought he would have kicked off.

"How does Emily feel?" Declan asked. "I don't know. She ran out of the house when I touched her leg. I've been trying to get in contact with her but I've heard nothing." I replied. "That's why you've not been yourself lately?" He asked and I nodded. "Let me go and speak to her. If anyone can get through to her it's me." Declan said proudly, knowing he was right. "Thank you mate."

Declan POV
To be honest I'm still shocked that Mason likes Emily. I can't believe I didn't sense anything. I just thought they were close friends and that was it.

Emily has been through a lot and it's no wonder I'm really protective over her. I refuse to let her go through what she went through with Leighton.

I know Mason is a good guy and he will look after her.