Chapter 28

Emily POV
It's been a few days since I found the picture at Mason's house and I've not spoken to him since. That picture has been playing on my mind. I need to know the truth.

Declan moved back in with Lauren but he is still checking up on me.

I decided to FaceTime Mason. Luckily he answered. "Hey Emz, how are you?" Mason asked, happily. "I'm ok, I'm still trying to figure everything out." I replied.

Mason had a slight smile on his face. I know the crash and my memory is still a sensitive topic.

"Are you free today?" I asked. Mason nodded. "I don't have any plans." "Do you fancy hanging out?" I asked, a bit nervously.

Mason looked a bit shocked but happy at the same time. I knew he wasn't expecting that.

"I would love to. I'll pick you up in an hour." Mason said happily. "See you soon Mase." I smiled.

Shit! I've never called him Mase since the crash but he seemed to like it as he blushed with a smile before ending the call.

I had just finished getting ready and I heard a knock at the door. I opened it to reveal a very smiley Mason Mount. "Hey come in, I just need to grab my things." I said.

Mason came in and sat on the sofa waiting for me. I finally joined him after a few minutes.

"I think we need to talk today." I said, sitting next to him. Mason looked confused. "About what?" He asked. "About us and about the picture of us that I found in your bedroom." Mason now looked nervous. "How do you know about the picture?" He asked.

I explained how I came across the picture in his room.

"I've been asking people what happened with us but everyone says I should talk to you. I just want to know what happened." I confessed. Mason sighed. "At least you want to hear it from me." He smiled slightly.

We decided to stay at my house. We wanted to talk in private where it won't be posted all over social media.

Mason explained how we got together, the memories we've created, how we all love boys night and that I was his biggest supporter at his games; he calls me his lucky charm. I smiled a lot. It was like we were the perfect couple but there's still bits I don't understand, things he's not telling me.

"Why would you want me?" I blurted out. "What?" Mason couldn't believe what I said. "Why me? I've seen online that so many girls love you and would want to be with you. Why me when you can have someone better, someone prettier?" Without thinking, Mason took my hand and intertwined our fingers. "I know before the crash you would say this to me and I'm going to tell you the exact same words I told you then. You are gorgeous. I don't care who wants me, I only have eyes for you, I only want you. It's always been you Emz." He said, squeezing my hand slightly.

I looked down at our hands and smiled but that suddenly changed as he mentioned the crash.

"What happened before the crash?" I asked, looking at him. Mason looked nervous. "I know something happened otherwise I would have been told about it." I said. "It's just that I feel guilty, like I'm responsible for you being like this." He looked like he was trying to hold back his tears. "Mase, please tell me." I rubbed my thumb against his skin.

Mason told me what happened and I was shocked. I didn't expect any of it.

"I promise I was trying to get away from her but she wasn't having it, I told her so many times 'no I have a girlfriend' but she didn't listen. You saw everything and then ran off upset and that's when the crash happened." Mason explained, sadness in his tone of voice. I stayed quiet. My head was now in my hands trying to process all of this. "I understand if you don't want to be with me again but I promise I'm telling you the truth." He added.

I felt him stand up as if he was about to leave. I didn't want him to go.

"I believe you." I said, looking up at him. Mason turned around a bit shocked. "You do?" He asked. I nodded as he sat down where he was moments ago. "You've been honest about everything no matter how hard it was to talk about, why would you lie now." I said, giving him a reassuring smile. Mason smiled like the Cheshire Cat.

"So where does this leave us?" He asked, fear in his eyes as he could potentially still lose the love of his life.

We talked long and hard about us and we decided not to be together yet but there's hope for the future.

"Can I take you out for a meal? Not like a date or anything but just two people hanging out." Mason asked nervously. I nodded. "I would love to." I said. Mason smiled and he gave me a hug. I squeezed him tight, feeling safe in his arms.

This feeling I've got for Mason is definitely more than friends. I just wish I can remember the missing parts of the puzzle. I don't want to be in a relationship with him when I'm not a 100%, it wouldn't be fair on Mason or myself.

Mason POV
I am so happy she believes what I told her. I could have told her some lies and not told her what really happened but I couldn't do that to her; she has to know the truth.

We ended up watching a film and Emily put her head on my chest, cuddling into me. I honestly felt ecstatic that she feels comfortable with me to do that without asking. I kissed her head and held her close to me. It feels so right having her back in my arms, I've missed this and I didn't want to let her go.

I'm determined to get her memory back. I want my girl back.