Part 4: Confrontation

Dawn finds herself back in that dark, empty world and knew right away she was asleep.

"Oh, no. Is it normal sleep, or curse sleep?" She asked herself ad forces herself to wake up, but couldn't. "Nope. Curse sleep. Dang it."

Dawn looks around and sees nothing that could help her. She crosses her arms and walks down the blackened road and huffs. "Welp. Can't do nothing much here. I wonder how long I'm gonna sleep this time?"

Dawn hugs herself and yet there was nothing to be afraid of. She wasn't hurt and there wasn't anything here to scare her. It was peaceful but boring for a dream.

"Yellooo!!!" Dawn calls out but nothing except an echo. "Well, boo. Who knew I could be bored dreaming?"

Dawn continues to walk when she saw a glow up ahead in the distance. She smiles and runs for that glow. She jumps and reaches for it before being shrouded in light.

Dawn awakens and finds herself in bed.

She sits herself up and looks around and then outside. It was nightfall, but what day is it? She then checks herself and sees she's back in her pink nightgown.

"How long was I asleep?" She asked herself and noticed her costume and Sibli's hat were gone.

"Oh, no."

Dawn quickly gets out of bed and rushes out of her room. She runs down the cold steps with her bare feet and heads for the throne room. Suddenly, at the last step, something was triggered. The air was cold and the halls darker while a huge shadow trails behind Dawn. Blue eyes glow from the shadow-like figure and suddenly Dawn falls through a hole.

The next moment she appears in a different room, the throne room. She looks up at the throne seat but no one was there. In fact, no guards either. No one. A shiver goes up her spine from this loneliness and the faint sound from the heart above did not help much. Or was it the sound of Dawn's heart? She couldn't tell.

"I believe I've been a most gracious host to you, my dear."

Dawn felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up and flinches her head back. Emperor Belos stands behind her as he glares down on poor little Dawn. She stammers, "H-How long was I--?"

"Asleep? 2 days, my dear," answered Emperor Belos while he turns his back to her. He pulls out something from underneath his cloak and reveals Dawn's princess costume. Dawn's face shows guilt before looking up at the emperor.

Emperor Belos spoke, "It's such a shame, really. Such a pretty dress should not be treated this way, and you looked so beautiful in it, too."

Dawn was taken by surprise and blushes deeply by the comment. He added, "If you needed materials you could've just asked me, my dear. It would've been very easy."

He drops the dress on the floor in front of Dawn before suddenly bursting into flames. Dawn backs away startled while the emperor pulls out Silbi's matching hat. Emperor Belos examines the small hat and spoke again. "This is quite the craftsmanship you have here, Dawn, but I believe it is much too small for a young adult."

He leans in and peers down at Dawn's face. "This was meant for a child, wasn't it? You've been talking with that witchling."

"Only once! She hasn't done anything! Harmless even!" replied Dawn as she defends the little witch. "Please, don't hurt her! She really doesn't know anything!"

"But how do we know that for sure, my dear?" asked Emperor Belos. "She could be lying to you, you know?"

"But she's just a baby! Silbi would never hurt anybody!" Dawn gasps and quickly covers her mouth.

"Silbi? So that's the witchling's name," said Emperor Belos. "You've befriended such a tiny witch. Don't worry, dear. I won't harm her. The child is too young to be punished so cruelly. In fact, I'm curious about her."

He turns his gaze back to the tiny hat and added, "Perhaps I shall hold on to this for you, Dawn. After all, you could fall asleep at any time and how will the child know where her precious gift is? I could deliver it to her for you."

"No!!!" shouted Dawn as she jumps back to her feet and pounce.

The emperor turns to ooze and goes through the floor tiles. Dawn yelps in disgust before searching around for him.

"Please don't hurt her," pleaded Dawn as she kept her guard.

"Silly human." His chilling voice from behind. "You think of me as some merciless overlord, don't you?"

Now from above. "I just see potential in that witchling, that's all. She'd make a fine addition to the Emperor's Coven."

Dawn backs away until her back hits the wall and keeps her eyes peeled. A hand comes out from the wall and strokes her cheek. Dawn froze and the hand gently pulls back her hair over her ear. A whispering breath touches her ear. "You know you look even more beautiful when your hair is down."

"Eep!" squeaked Dawn.

Dawn steps away from the wall while her cheeks flushed and her heart pounding more. She watches the wall while the emperor slowly creeps out of it. Dawn turns away and dashes for the door when a tall plant bursts from the floor and blocks her way. She turns back but bumps into Belos, who grabs her hand and pulls her close. His soulless eyes caught hold of her tender ones as he holds her waist by the arm.

Dawn's heart is in beat with the giant heart above them and couldn't look away from the emperor's eyes. She knew she couldn't escape from him, the most powerful witch in the Boiling Isles. She flinches when the emperor caresses her cheek and his thumb strokes it gently.

"You know, Dawn, you are breathtaking," said Emperor Belos as he gazes tenderly at Dawn. "Far too good for that dress."

Dawn blushes deeply and her heart quickens. Why would he say that? To brainwash her? Dawn shakes her head. She then felt Belos's arm remove itself from her waist and he let go of her hand. Dawn took a step away from him when he hands her Silbi's hat.

"Take it," he says in a calm voice. "Go on. Take it."

Dawn looks at him hesitantly but takes the hat back from him. ". . . Why?"

"Why what, my dear?" asked Emperor Belos. "Are you asking why I've returned your gift?"

"No, why . . . Why did you tease me just now?" asked Dawn.

Emperor Belos stares at Dawn, silent for a moment, before turning away and answers. "You should return to your room, Dawn. It's late."

"But--"

"No buts. Now run along. You should know the way back by now."

Emperor Belos gently pushes Dawn towards the door and the plant thing guarding it goes back underground. Dawn leaves the throne room and glances back at Emperor Belos.

"Good night, Dawn," said Emperor Belos as he closes the door.

"Goodnight." Dawn bows her head and walks back to her room with Silbi's hat.

(Meh, been a little lazy at these last few sentences, but oh well. Anyways, hope you've all been enjoying this fanfic so far because I shall continue it to my heart's desire! Love the show with a PASSION and expect more from the future. Seriously, Dana, extend it. Everybody send letters to Disney! Us weirdos gotta stick together!)