Part 36: Hollow Mind pt. 1

(FINALLY!!! Sorry for the long wait. This one was harder to write than the Philip Wittebane chapters. Welp, it ain't perfect, but it's a start. Enjoy!)

At the night market and shrouded in dark cloaks, Dawn and the rebels walk closer to their destination. Dawn examines her surroundings since she's never been to the night market but focuses on their mission.

Raine and Darius explained the details on how to use the mind spell to Dawn. She just needs to stand beside them within the circle in order to be transported with them. Dawn just hopes Silbi has made it to the Owl House without any issues.

Dawn repeats their plan in their room. "Okay, Silbi. As soon as I leave after tucking you in---"

"I pretend sleep, wait, and go to Auntie Eda," finished Silbi.

"Yes, Silbi, but keep quiet!" said Dawn and hushed. "Yulong will stay with you. I'll use the ring's magic and meet you at the Owl House."

Silbi asks worriedly, "Why can't I go with you, mama? We're stronger together!"

Silbi flexes her little arms up and Yulong copies her in agreement. Dawn giggles before replying, "It's too dangerous, sweetie. Plus, I won't be alone. I also don't want to risk Yulong getting hurt."

"Aw." Silbi and Yulong both hung their heads low.

Dawn reassures them and gave a bright smile. "It's okay, guys. Just promise me you'll go as soon as possible, alright?"

"Okay, mama," said Silbi, and Yulong nods.

"Good girl, good boy," said Dawn to them and pat their heads. "Until that time, just act normal."

Dawn watches the three witches preparing the circle with all four of them inside. Darius adds the last ingredient to the spell and was about to activate it when they all heard the Golden Guard's voice.

"Halt!"

As well as Luz's.

"Hunter!"

The two teens pile on top of each other in the circle. Raine creates a smoke cover with their bard magic and Dawn instantly reacts. She knew to flee the scene but Hunter had snatched her cloak and yanks her back.

"I forbid you to flee!" exclaimed the Golden Guard but gasped. "Dawn?!"

"Hehe, hi?" said Dawn nervously. Great. I messed up my first rebellion. Nice work, "empress."

Hunter was obviously confused but, in his mind, he assumes the "wild witches" had kept Dawn hostage. Knowing Luz had messed up his job he turns around to face her.  He growls in frustration. "Human, do you know what you've just done?!"

Crack!

Everyone stares down at the broken vial while the circles they're in glow brighter. Dawn gasped and shields her eyes when suddenly the mind spell transports them . . .

Straight into Belos's mind.

~~~

Dawn groans as she wakes up after hearing Luz and Hunter arguing. "Ugh . . . guys? Is now really a good time to fight?"

"Dawn!!" exclaimed the teens with Hunter rushing to her. "Are you unharmed, empress?! Were you kidnapped?! Did those wild witches do anything to you?!"

"Hunter, hunter, sweetie, I'm fine," reassured Dawn with a nervous lie. "And no those witches didn't harm me. They, um, didn't have the guts? Anyways, ahem, where are we? And, um, how did we get here?"

"We're in the emperor's mind," answered Luz worriedly.

Luz and Hunter shared their part of their story while Dawn listens. So Luz came in by accident and Hunter has no clue about the others. Good, thought Dawn, but what the heck am I supposed to do now that we're here?