Part 18: Prince Charming

(Okay, so I'm changing this one character's name from Jake to Travis. Why? Because my brain cannot stop thinking of Jake the Dog from "Adventure Time" and now that Jacob from the Yesterday's Lie episode. I cannot take it anymore, so to cure my sanity I'm-a change that little detail. Sound good? Cool.)

While Silbi was studying in her private classes, Dawn took the chance to read the photo album. She even copied the hidden messages in her new journal and wrote down notes on the side. Dawn was so focused on her work yet a random thought occurs to her.

"I forgot my literature book in the library!" exclaimed Dawn loudly. "My precious baby! I fell asleep when that happened! Hold on, book! Mama's a-coming!"

Dawn hides her journal and album in her drawer and dashes out the room.

Dawn runs to the castle library and prays her book was still there. It was her favorite book from the human realm and she really didn't want to lose her precious stories. Dawn storms into the private library, almost slipping, and ants heavily while her eyes dart the room. She enters inside and heads straight for the desk, where she remembers last reading it before her cursed sleep. It wasn't there, but she then spotted her book by the fireplace.

Dawn raises a brow and goes to the little round table where her book sat. The hearth flickers with green flames while Dawn gets her book back, but stops to gaze at the fire. It wasn't special or anything but it wasn't every day you see green flames either. Dawn went to the fire and sat down on the floor to admire it. She didn't notice that behind her and next to the table there was someone sitting on a leather Victorian-style chair.

"Enchanting, isn't it?"

Dawn squeaked and turns around to see Emperor Belos sitting on the chair, looking at her. Dawn almost had a fright since the green glowing light from the fire made the emperor look eerie, especially when he had his mask on.

Dawn tries to speak out and asks, "T-The fire?"

Emperor Belos didn't answer that question but instead, he said, "You were looking for that book, were you not? I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of reading some of its tales."

"Not at all, sir," said Dawn and quickly stood up from the floor and blushes. She then asks, "D-Do you have a favorite?"

Emperor Belos replies, "Not really, but it has been a while since I've read some of those poems and stories."

"You've read them before?" asked Dawn curiously.

"Yes," said Emperor Belos. "I have been to the human realm long ago."

"You have? When?! How?!" asked Dawn interested.

"One question at a time, my dear," said Emperor Belos with a chuckle. "But what about you? I noticed you left off at Othello. Do you enjoy reading Shakespeare?"

"Y-Yeah, I was reading it when I was back home before I came here," said Dawn. "It's about jealously, prejudice, and tragedy. It kinda makes me want to read more from Shakespeare. Even though it's sad to see the main characters die, I do love how the couples express their love for each other. I think it's very sweet."

Emperor Belos could tell Dawn took pleasure in romance tales, but there was also a little bit of loneliness in her eyes as if those tales brought pain, too. He didn't mention anything about it before, but he could tell there was something off about Dawn when it came to romance stories. 

He replies, "You seem to have an interest in British literature, my dear. Not many people would want to read something like Othello."

"Well, in my world, it's considered a classic," said Dawn. "But I guess not many people are familiar with it. They're mostly familiar with Romero and Juliet."