Part 6: Emptiness

Dawn walks through the nothingness of her dream while recalling the moment she had with Belos. Was it real? Was it her imagination? Those eyes show evil and yet it would not look away from her. Why? Dawn was at a loss for words and felt almost glad she was in her cursed sleep. She wouldn't know how to talk to the emperor after that, but then again she already rarely sees him or talk to him.

"I don't know anything about him," said Dawn and she hugs herself. "So why am I like this? I haven't even seen the guy's face yet!"

Dawn sighs and wonders when's the next time she wakes up. Few days? A week? And poor Silbi. She's probably been waiting so patiently just to be given her hat right now.

"I should wake up then," said Dawn. "Can't stay asleep forever. Yello! Hey! Glowing portal to reality! Ya there?!"

Nothing happens and time continues to feel slow.

"Great."

~~~

Three weeks have passed, almost four, and Dawn was still asleep. The Emperor's Coven continues to work hard like usual and despite doing the same Emperor Belos felt a little empty inside. There was something odd about not seeing Dawn's face in the morning or hear her meek voice, even if it was for a short time. This has been the longest she has ever slept and the emperor was starting to grow a little anxious.

He taps his fingers on the arm of his throne while Kikimora gives him the daily reports. Lilith was busy trying to capture the Owl Lady, but she always comes back empty-handed. Emperor Belos let out a sigh of irritation and rubs his temple through his mask.

"Kikimora, have the healers found any results for Dawn's curse?" asked Emperor Belos suddenly.

Kikimora blinks surprised and clears her throat before replying. "No, sire. The witches at the Healing Coven haven't found a cure for the human's curse yet. They are still working day and night as you requested."

Another sigh escapes the emperor's mouth. "What of the child?"

Kikimora shook her head. "No sign of her. I'm afraid she's quite more elusive than we thought, sire. However, we do believe she has was raised by one of the wild witches we caught."

"So's she's a wild witch herself is what you're saying?" said Emperor Belos.

"She's still quite young, my liege," said Kikimora. "Perhaps we can easily persuade the child and have her join a coven when she's older? We can also put her with devoted witches who are in covens themselves."

Emperor Belos taps his fingers displeased while trying to think of other things. He then leans back on his throne and asks, "Where is the Golden Guard?"

"He is currently on a secret mission under your orders, sire," answered Kikimora though she sounded a bit bitter. "He should be back soon."

"Good," said Emperor Belos. "You are dismissed."

Kikimora bows her head and leaves the throne room while Emperor Belos clutches his chest and groans painfully. He felt his condition worsening. He needed more palismen. Emperor Belos tries to hold his pain back for now until his Golden Guard returns with more palismen.

He clutches tightly on to his chest before getting up and heads for his room. Along the way, he passes by the stairs that lead up to Dawn's room. An aching feeling pierced his chest, but only slightly since the pain of his condition stabs harder. He shook his head and groans softly as he drops his mask upon the floor. Emperor Belos falls on his knees and had to lean against the stone wall for support. Drops of dark greenish blood land on the floor while Belos growls like a wounded animal.