Part 46: Deceitful Lovers pt. 2

(Hey there! Didn't expect this chapter to come out soon? Neither did I! Enjoy!)

"Then we're done here. Goodbye."

She holds two glyphs, fire and ice combos, and slaps them together. Belos's eyes widen while steam and fog fill the room. Dawn circles around Belos and rushes out of the dining room. She runs away with all her might when she hears a roaring screech behind her.

"Nope! Nope! Nope!" Dawn uses the glyphs she learned from Luz to defend and escape from any coven scouts blocking her way. "Outta the way!!"

Scouts were either tied with vines, frozen by ice, or scorched by flames while Dawn runs past them. She makes a wrong turn after Belos's magic blocks her way, so she heads for the garden.

Dawn enters the greenhouse of the garden and shuts the door behind her. She pants heavily and reminds herself to be careful.

"Dang it! The bridge was just on the other side of that hall!" Dawn was hoping to make a plant bridge at the castle's entrance and then burn them with fire glyphs. Dawn slides down on to the floor and catches her breath.

"I'm sorry . . . I'm trying here." She tells herself.

Dawn then hears footsteps coming close to her greenhouse. She gasps and quickly covers her mouth.

"Is that the best you can do, Dawn?" asked Belos, who growls and searches in his monster form. "Our Silbi won't rescue you this time."

Dawn growls angrily but keeps her mouth shut. She waits until she hears Belos leave the area. Only silence, so Dawn peeks her head out the door.

Belos was nowhere in sight.

Exhausted, Dawn let out a sigh and lean against the door frame sitting. "No more . . . Please."

From behind and right next to her ear, Belos whispers eerily, "You didn't mean that, did you, Dawn?"

Dawn's heart sinks and her face turns pale. She turns around and squeaks when she finds Belos staring right at her. She backs away to a corner, back pressing against the wall, while Belos slowly approaches her.

Dawn pants heavily and her heart races fearfully. "So? Y-You're the bad guy here!"

Belos creeps closer to her until he was mere inches from Dawn's face. "Such an accusation, my dear. I am on a holy mission and you dare call me that? I'm hurt, Dawn. Truly, I am. And here I thought you would remain by my side."

"Believe me, I thought the exact same thing," countered Dawn. "But under different circumstances."

"Oh? How so? Elaborate for me, dear."

Dawn glares at him before letting out a heavy sigh. "I thought I could change your mind. I thought my love could save you. I thought, after learning about your past, I might see just the tiniest speck of guilt. If you did, then I could grant you a second chance. The kind for a fresh start, I mean. I-I wanted to give you hope."

Belos stares deeply at Dawn's eyes, though to her they are just empty hollow sockets. "Such naivety."

He reaches his bone-like hand to her face but Dawn turns away. Even so, Belos still takes her cheek; for a second Dawn felt that monstrous hand, making her shiver, but the next it shifted to his gloved one. Belos turns her to face him, his scarred face which wears exhaustion and loneliness. Dawn tries to resist since it could easily be a trick, but he leans in close to whisper so gently.

"My precious dear, you have given me so much hope ever since our eyes first met. You've been my only comfort in this sickening world. I am never truly at peace until I am in your arms. It saddens me to see you like this, Dawn."

Dawn knew exactly what he was doing but her heart aches just from his voice.

"Y-You're lying . . ."

"You know I'm not."

"T-Then you're using me . . ."

"What does your heart tell you, my love?"

Dawn's eyes widen before pushing Belos back. Tears fall from her eyes before she glares back at Belos. "Y-Y-You're tricking me! No one uses that line! It's the cheesiest line in history!"

She tackles him and starts pounding her fists on his chest. Dawn cries, "You are using me! You are faking it! You never cared! You're . . . ! You're . . . ! You're just a jerk!!"

Belos was unflinching as if he had seen this side of Dawn before. Dawn's fists slow down and clench tightly to his shirt. Belos then wraps his arms around Dawn and pulls her tightly for a warm hug.

Dawn sobs in his arms while Belos hugs her and stroke her head. He asks, "Does this feel fake to you?"

Dawn whimpers and had lost all strength. She clings to him and buries her face in his chest. ". . . No."

Belos comforts her and adds, "I would not embrace just anyone, Dawn, and I know very well you wouldn't either."

Dawn lifts her head up and stares into Belos's lonely eyes, falling for him again.

"Please. Grant me my wish," whispered Belos, "and say my name."

She knew it was terribly wrong, but in her emotional state, Dawn couldn't resist. Just one more time, thought Dawn as she leans and kiss Belos tenderly.

A huge mistake for her.

(Hehehe, I gots plans for this story. If this ending sounds cliche or lacking, I totally understand. Next chapter, "Bountiful Heart"! Y'all get to learn more about Dawn's backstory! Hooray!!! When??? No clue!!!)