Part 11: Midnight Discussion

A few hours passed as Dawn prepares herself mentally to talk with Emperor Belos. Today was a hectic day and she didn't know if she wanted to see him. Dawn wanted to stay with Silbi and keep her company, but hopefully, the witchling will sleep long enough for Dawn to speak with the emperor.

Dawn made sure Silbi was tucked in well before getting up and leaving their room. She walks down the stairs clutching her robe close when she spotted the Golden Guard waiting for her with a lantern.

He spoke, "The emperor won't be in the throne room at this time. He'll be in his workshop. Now, listen very carefully, human. Not many people go in his workshop, so don't touch anything without his permission."

Dawn nods as she follows after the Golden Guard, who leads her to a new place in the castle. They pass by a few rooms, one of them looking grander than the others, making Dawn assume it was the emperor's personal chambers. They walked a few feet before the Golden Guard stops at another set of doors. He was about to knock on the door when the emperor from the inside out answers. "Come in."

The Golden Guard swallows hard before opening the door for Dawn. She takes a deep breath and exhales before entering the emperor's workshop. The teen closes the door behind her while Dawn looks around the room.

Dawn was expecting a room full of potions and herbs, but she finds herself staring at gears and mechanical parts. She was a little curious and examines her surroundings when she spotted the emperor's back without his white cloak. Dawn approaches him but stops when she sees blond hair tied back to the emperor's head.

She was slightly surprised yet didn't expect to see his natural hair out in the open. She was about to reach out and touch his hair when Emperor Belos spoke. "So you've come. I almost didn't think you would."

Dawn takes her hand back and stares at Emperor Belos. She replies, "You summoned me."

"No. I didn't," countered the emperor.

Dawn asks confused, "What?"

Emperor Belos explains, "The Golden Guard lied to you, my dear. I didn't summon you, but he went and asked you to come here anyway. He has quite the backbone to do this to me."

Dawn was even more surprised and slightly annoyed that the teen tricked her. She then asked, "If you knew, then why did you allow me in?"

The emperor placed his hands behind his back and walks away from his desk of blueprints. Emperor Belos goes to his shelf looking for a specific tool while he answers, "He wasn't wrong, my dear."

Emperor Belos placed the items he was looking for on his desk before facing Dawn. He still wore his mask, but it was oddly comforting to see his hair out and loose. A thought occurs in  Dawn's head: could it be he had it off but put it back on when he knew she was coming?

Out of everything Dawn is mostly curious about what Emperor Belos looked like under his mask. After all, the witches and demons look so unique and creepily fascinating, too. Most likely the emperor himself looked even more monstrous than any demon around here with his powers. What a frightening image.

"You're staring, Dawn." Emperor Belos's voice breaks Dawn's thoughts making her realize what she was doing. She blushes deeply and lowers her gaze and stutters. "F-Forgive me. I-I didn't mean to, sir. Um, w-were you gonna say something?"

"Well, I was going to give you a heartfelt apology, but now I'm more curious about what you're thinking in that head of yours," said Emperor Belos from sarcasm to intriguing.

"Me?! Nothing! I have no thoughts! What's a thought?!" Dawn laughs nervously. "Ahem, b-but . . . I-I won't say anything  . . . u-until you apologize first."

Dawn tries to make things go her way but felt a little nervous around the emperor. She was still angry with him, but, of course, she wants to be alive for tomorrow. A light chuckle escapes the emperor's lips making Dawn look up at him. "Alright."

Emperor Belos took a few steps closer to Dawn as he takes her hand like a gentleman. He placed his other hand on top of Dawn's, making her heart race more as she stares up at his face.

"Dawn," he began, "Please accept my humblest apologies for upsetting you and Silbi. I lost my temper, but you must know that we both have different views. I know it's hard for you to understand my point of view. I don't ask you to understand, only that you trust in me. All will be revealed in due time, my dear. I promise. For now, I'm sorry."

Dawn gazes at the emperor's face while listening to his words. He did sound sincere with his words and Dawn was touched by them, but the longer she stares at that mask the more that nagging feeling tugs her mind. She bit her lip conflicted and wanting to remove that mask when they both heard a tiny knock at the door.

"No!! What are you--?! Don't go in there!!" The Golden Guard was whispering to someone when the door opens and a cranky Silbi stands there. She rubs her sleepy eyes and held a plushie firmly under her tiny arm. Silbi enters the workshop and squints her gaze at the two adults.

She then turns to the emperor and glares at him tiredly. She goes to him and kicks his ankle but very weakly. The emperor tilts his head and raises a brow while Silbi adds a tired smack with her plushie. And another. And another. And another.

"Looks like somebody is still angry with me," commented Emperor Belos while Silbi frowns at him. "Meh. Bad papa."

Dawn giggles and goes to pick up Silbi. "Okay, sweetie. I think you've beaten him enough for one day. Now say goodnight to him."

Silbi sticks her tongue out at the emperor and blows a short raspberry at him.

"Charming," commented Emperor Belos.

"We'll be going then. Goodnight, sir," said Dawn as she bows her head and goes for the door. She then stops for a moment and added, "I . . . I do want to understand you, Emperor Belos. Everyone sees you as this frightening ruler, b-but I want to know your whole story first. I'm sorry if my words hurt you, too, but will you tell me everything when you're ready?"

Emperor Belos was silent for a moment before he nodded. "Of course. Goodnight, Dawn."

Dawn gave him a smile before bowing her head again and leaves the workshop. Silbi peeks from over Dawn's shoulder and gives the emperor the "I'll be watching you, punk" look.