Part 42: Torment

Two or so days have passed and so far, nothing new has happened to Dawn. For some reason, her curse made her sleep during the day, when Graye was trying to search through her mind. She only wakes up around the evening and stays up until morning.

However, today Dawn's been given a slight break since Graye is sent on a mission to Hexside.

Dawn awakens for the night and paces in her room. She hasn't been summoned since the first night, most likely because everyone's so busy with the Day of Unity approaching. Dawn hasn't even seen Raine, or Eber, or even heard a word from Darius.

"I wish I could see Silbi and Yulong again," whispered Dawn and glance down at her ring. "Even if I were bold enough to cut my finger off, I can't escape here without magic."

She sighs and lays down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. "Belos hasn't hurt me yet, besides having Graye use that stupid spell. He probably thinks I'll break soon with that alone. Pfft! Typical."

Dawn turns to her side and hugs her pillow before thinking, "I wonder if Belos is still searching for Delia's grimwalker thing. Does Silbi even know about it? It wasn't even mentioned in the album. Shoot, I could've told Luz about it but even my crystal ball was taken. She hasn't contacted me either . . ."

Dawn hugs her pillow tightly and buries her face in her mattress. "Stupid Belos . . ."

~~~

Everything for the Day of Unity was moved to the Titan's head. Preparations were almost ready as both scout and coven head worked nonstop. Emperor Belos had summoned another meeting with some of the available coven heads.

"You wish to what, my liege?" asked Terra Snapdragon.

All the present coven heads, including Darius, Eber, and Raine gasped.

Emperor Belos repeats his order. "I wish to go into the empress's mind. Or are you deaf?"

Darius asks, "Emperor, surely you know how dangerous it is to enter a person's mind. Why would you go this far?"

Belos answers, "Because, unfortunately, Graye has returned with his mind disoriented. He's useless and I want results now."

Terra jumps in, "Then allow one of us to go in your place, Emperor Belos. Should anything happen to us, then you already have replacements ready."

"No," countered Belos, "Dawn's inner self would most likely fight back and protect her memories. I'm more than capable of handling her."

"Pardon my words, Emperor Belos," said Raine Whispers, "but wouldn't the empress fight against you, too? If she's a traitor, then she wouldn't respond well to you. She'll be on her guard quite heavily."

Belos narrows his eyes at the bard before replying, "I'm well aware of that fact, thank you very much. You all worry about your missions. I'll handle the empress myself. Continue searching for Silbi, and Delia Sliverling's experiment as well. Dismissed."

The coven heads bow their heads and exit the throne room. Darius clenches his fists and bites back his tongue. Once they're all gone and Belos sits back on his own throne tiredly. He groans and holds his lowered head.

"I grow weary of this . . ." commented Belos.

A child's giggling made Belos more irksome as he glance at the source. "What now, Collector?"

"I wanna play with the lady!" demanded the Collector. "You said I could play with Silbi, but she's not here anymore! Now I wanna play with the lady and hear her stories! Or her singing! But now she's barely awake at all!"