Part 16: Powerlessness

"Mama?!" gasped Silbi as she watches Dawn and Kikimora tackle each other to the ground.

"Unhand me, you barbaric human!" exclaimed Kikmora as she struggles to push Dawn off.

"Take back what you said, you mini bossy-pants!" growled Dawn as she tries to pin Kikimora down.

The demon forms a circle and pushes Dawn off with plant magic. Kikimora picks herself up while Dawn was entangled in vines and yanks them off of her. The demon spoke, "Such horrid manners! But you better give up, human. You're much too delicate for me to use my full power."

"Fight me!!!" snarled Dawn as she struggles to escape the vines.

Kikimora scoffs, "Hmph! And here I thought you were docile. Keep this up and I'll have to suggest a new guardian for young Silbi."

"Goo?" Silbi blinks confused and looks back at the demon.

"You wouldn't dare," sneered Dawn.

"Oh, I would." Kikimora goes to Silbi and picks her up with both arms. "You see, this witchling needs a proper guardian, another witch basically. I don't think you qualify as her parent. So I've been recommending Emperor Belos for, at the very least, a nanny. Of course, the child trusts you, but with your, ahem, condition, what can you really do for her?"

Kikimora's words pierce Dawn's heart like a knife to her chest. She bites her bottom lip in frustration while Silbi felt the tension rising with every word. Kikimora releases Dawn from her viny grip and added, "You have to think more clearly, human. No more recklessness. I think the emperor will agree with me, especially after this incident. Look at you. Charging after a coven official in front of the poor child. She'll learn bad habits if you raise her like this."

"Mama?" called Silbi while Dawn stays on the ground with her eyes down and her fists clenching tightly.

"Come along, dear Silbi," said Kikimora and starts walking back to the castle. "Let's leave this human alone so she can contemplate her actions."

"Mama?" she calls again and squirms in Kikimora's small arms. "Mama! Mama!!"

Dawn looks up and watches the demon take her little witchling away from her. Silbi whimpers and cries as she squirms more and reaches her tiny arms out for Dawn. "Mama!! Mama!!!"

"Silbi . . ." said Dawn while her heart breaks pitifully.

Kikimora struggles to keep Silbi in her arms and holding her still. "Hold still, child! The emperor will summon you soon! You have to be presentable!"

"Mama!!!" cried Silbi, who flails her arms wildly. "Silbi wants mama!!!"

Like before, Dawn felt something snap and instinctively rushes back to her feet. Kikimora then hears running feet coming from behind and turns around to see Dawn's fury-filled face. Kikimora gasps while Dawn raises her fist. "Give me my kid back!!!"

Dawn lands a punch on the demon's face causing her to loosen her claws around Silbi. Dawn catches Silbi and pulls her off from Kikimora and hugs her tightly. Silbi cries and snuggles close to Dawn, who shushes her gently. "It's okay, baby. Mama's here."

Silbi buries her face in Dawn's chest and clings to her, not wanting to separate ever again. At that moment, however, approaching this scene and witnessing it was Emperor Belos and the Golden Guard and a few of their guards. A female general rushes to Kikimora's side and helps her up out of pure concern.

"Dawn!!" called Emperor Belos but his tone made Dawn flinched since it didn't sound good. She didn't bother giving anyone a glance as she holds Silbi close.