Chapter Seven

"You painted me?" She asked in a whisper. Colton released her hand and trailed his fingers along the cheek of the portrait on the canvas. Victoria felt as if he was really caressing her cheek tenderly.

"Yes," he said softly, his eyes glued to the portrait. Victoria was speechless by his behaviour. This was a complex man with too many twists and turns in his mind, a man she couldn't decipher yet. He wasn't the stupid, playboy type who only swarmed towards women. There was more to Colton Glenn than met the eye. 

"Why?" She croaked, her throat drying with nervousness. She had no idea why he drew her in the first place. Even if he did, why the hell was he caressing the portrait if her? Colton turned to look at her, his piercing gaze seemed to delve deep into her soul. 

"I just wanted to," he shrugged. Victoria knew he wouldn't give any more explanations to her. It was useless trying to find out anyway. "Do you like it?" Asked Colton, coming up to her and standing right in front of her. A shudder went down Victoria's spine. 

"Yes, it's beautiful," she said, looking up into his mesmerizing green eyes. The golden specks inside his eyes sparkled with excitement as he gazed back at her. 

"You're beautiful," he said in a low husky tone. Victoria looked away as a faint blush crept up to her cheeks. He lifted his hand and touched her cheek with his index finger, trailing it up and down in a soft, tender caress. It made Victoria close her eyes as a jolt of electric current coursed through her body. 

"You can have it," said Colton hoarsely, his eyes glued to her soft, plump lips. Victoria's eyes flew open hearing his words. 

"You'll give it to me?" She asked with disbelief. Colton nodded, still staring at her lips, then up to her eyes and back to her lips. Victoria noticed where his glance was glued at and her breath hitched in her throat. Would he kiss her?

"Yes, if you win the bet and make me fall in love with you," said Colton, gazing at her. He had no idea why he felt so drawn to her. She didn't need to make any effort yet here he was throwing himself at a teenage girl who was as innocent as a rose. The thorns were deceptive, only to keep the likes of him at bay but he wouldn't be scared of them. He would have her one day! 

"Oh! The bet again? Ugh," said Victoria. Colton chuckled and left his hand drop to his side. 

"I won't let you back out or forget the bet. So tell me, Victoria. Did my first ploy work? Have you fallen for me?" Asked Colton, his eyes glittering with excitement. Victoria's jaws dropped. So that was what it was? His ploy at making her fall for him and here she was getting all soft and mushy just because he painted a picture of her. She gave him a look of pure hatred. 

"No, you're despicable. I hate you," she yelled and ran out of his house. Her cheeks were blazing with embarrassment and anger. How could she even think of falling for him? How could she even think that he was different? All the time he was playing by his bet while getting a good laugh out of her naivety. 

Colton sat on the couch and closed his eyes. Why did he have to say that when he had completely forgotten about the bet while painting her? The bet was just a ploy to keep him from getting bored with his loneliness. He loved to mess with Victoria, her reactions were so interesting that they kept his mind occupied the whole time. He still could feel her baby soft skin on his fingertips. His whole body tingled with excitement. Was she that way all over? He just couldn't stop thinking how it would feel to touch her soft, naked body. Taking a deep breath, he poured himself a glass of whiskey. If hr hadn't said those words, she would have been with him and he wouldn't have felt so lonely. 

Victoria seethed with anger and she kept planning her first step to get him to fall for her. If he had started it, then she wouldn't take a backseat at all. She too would fight him tooth and nail. She had dinner with Sofia and they talked to their parents over phone. Later, when Sofia was retired to her room to sleep, Victoria sat at her window and plotted and planned. 

The next morning, after breakfast, Greta sent Victoria to the departmental store to get food items for the house. As she was picking up the grocery items, an idea struck her. She picked up whatever she needed and paid for the stuff. Going home, she handed over the items to Greta and then went outside with a few items that she needed to carry out her plan. Walking all the way to Colton's building, she took the elevator and went up to the first floor. She saw Colton talking to someone over phone as he sat at his laptop, working. She smirked seeing him look up at her, his jaws dropped gaze making her feel strangely excited. Surprised to see her, Colton quickly disconnected his call. 

“Hey! What brings you to the lion's den?” he asked, lifting an eyebrow at her. Victoria winked at him.

“Thought of offering some food to the lion so that he’ll spare me,” she said, walking into the kitchen. Colton’s whole body trembled with excitement. A burning need coursed through his body seeing her. He got up and followed her into the kitchen, standing behind her as she arranged the items she bought in the pantry.

“So what are you offering the lion as a substitute?” he asked with amusement, standing as close to her as possible, his chest brushing against her back. The burning need for her turned into an inferno as he craved to pull her into his arms, feel her against him. He was shocked by his need for her, having never felt this way for any woman before. 

“Steak?” she asked but Colton shook his head. 

“Poor substitute, “ he commented. 

“Oh, then Spaghetti and Meatballs?” she asked but again Colton shook his head with a grimace. 

“Nope, won’t do,” he told her. Victoria rolled her eyes at him. She didn’t possess much culinary expertise and as such could cook only a few limited dishes.

“Umm, then Pasta Carbonara?” she asked tentatively. 

“Too ordinary, “ shrugged Colton, suppressing a grin. Victoria pouted, thinking what else she could offer him. 

“Barbecued Chicken?” she offered with a sigh. Colton crinkled his nose and shook his head. 

“Ughh, ham sandwiches then?” she asked with a huff. Colton laughed out loud, his voice booming with mirth within the closed walls of the kitchen. 

“Not at all,” he said with a grin on his face. 

“Then fry your d*ck and eat it. I’m not cooking for you,” said Victoria, whirling around with a toss of her hair to go back to Sofia’s house. Her plans had failed and she couldn’t make Colton fall for her. Why did she always have to lose? The guy was too shrewd for her liking. Colton looked taken aback by her answer but he soon got a grip over himself and lunged forward and caught her hand. He pulled her into his arms, crushing her to his body. 

“It’s not so easy to make me fall for you,” he said, his eyes reflecting the fire he felt for her. Victoria gaped at him with horror. How did he know that she was trying to make him fall, for her? 

“I wasn’t trying at all. I was just returning a favour,” lied Victoria. Colton laughed at her naivety. She was so adorable, trying to cook for him to make him fall for her. No woman had ever done so much for him, they were all interested either in his money or in having physical intimacy with him. Victoria struggled in his arms, trying to get free.

“Let me go, Colton. Since you can cook much better than me, I don’t think you need me, “ she said, pushing at his chest. Colton gazed at her sweet face, her perfect pink lips. It seemed like she had no idea how much he needed her. Having her soft body crushed to his own was making him too aroused for her. 

“Giving up so easily?” he asked, challenging her. Victoria looked up into his mocking eyes. 

“Yes, I don’t have time to waste,” she said gruffly.

“I didn’t say that I don’t need you,” said Colton slowly, his eyes still gazing into her warm, light brown ones. “Believe me, I do. You don’t need to cook for me. You can just sit with me and give me company. That’s what I need more than anything in the world,” he said in a whisper. Victoria gaped at him wordlessly. What a strange need indeed! Was he that lonely?