Chapter Twenty-Six

“Hi, Pete,” said Victoria, not really wanting to talk to him right at that moment. She was still lost in her newly discovered feelings for Colton and repenting having hurt him.

“I just called to ask you if you can meet me now,” asked Pete hesitantly.

“If it’s that important, you can tell me over the phone. By the way, how did you get my mobile number?” Asked Victoria curiously. 

“I met Greta a few hours back and she gave me your number. It was my birthday two days back. Tomorrow I’m celebrating it with my friends with a party at my house in the evening. Will you come over please? I want you to attend it. Even Colton’s coming over,” pleaded Pete. Victoria was excited to hear that Colton would also attend. 

“Sure, I’ll be there,” she said. 

“Thanks. I’ll see you then at 6 o’clock tomorrow?” he asked. 

“Yes,” promised Victoria. After she disconnected the call, she had walked up to her room to freshen up for dinner. With Sofia being busy with Davion, she hardly had time to catch up with her. Victoria knew that she should return home but somehow she just couldn’t go back with Colton here. What if he didn’t go to Las Vegas to meet her again? What if he forgot her? 

The next day, Colton was busy at work the whole day and Victoria didn’t get to see him. She went to his house twice already but he still hadn’t returned. It was late afternoon when she rushed out of Colton’s house and walked towards Sofia’s house. Colton still hadn’t arrived and she had to get ready for Pete’s party.

“Hey Victoria! What are you doing here? Aren’t you coming to my party?” Asked Pete, stopping the car on his way to his house. 

“Yeah, I’m going to get ready now,” she smiled. “You aren’t ready anyway,” she laughed. Pete smiled back. 

“Yeah, I’ll just get ready. I went to get the drinks,” he said.

“Oh! See you then,” she said with a wave, walking away. 

With no news of Colton, she called him but strangely he didn’t receive her call. Then it struck her that Colton might have taken offense after last night. Was he avoiding her? She quickly got ready and walked down to Pete’s house. She had already got him a bottle of wine for his birthday. She just wanted to meet Colton and talk to him. She went up the steps of Pete’s house and seeing the door open, she walked inside. A loud gyrating music filled the air inside the house. It seemed that the party had started in full swing. It wasn’t a small get together as she had thought. There were young people, drinking, laughing, dancing everywhere. They were all strangers and Victoria walked inside looking for Pete and Colton but she couldn’t find them anywhere. It was strange that Pete’s family was also nowhere to be seen and neither were his pets. 

She grabbed hold of one girl in a skimpy, body-hugging dress. “Hi! Can you tell me where Pete is?” she asked eagerly. Seeing the crowd, she just wanted to hand the bottle of wine to Pete and escape from the house. 

The girl looked her up and down with an odd and jealous look on her face. “Have you come to a party wearing that?” she asked with disbelief. “Why don’t you f*ck off? I’m sure Pete would laugh his a*s off seeing you,” she laughed. A few more girls too joined her and giggled, staring at Victoria as if she were a misfit there. 

“I’m at least wearing clothes unlike you. Don’t tell me that you can’t afford to buy clothes for yourself?” She asked with a taunting laugh. The girl’s face fell and she looked angry. 

“How dare you speak to me in that tone, bi*ch?” she said, raising her hand to slap Victoria but Victoria wasn’t weak in any way. She might be younger to them but she had more grit than them. She instantly caught the girl's hand and twisted it behind her back. 

“You’re the biggest b*tch around. Don’t mess with me or I’ll break this little hand of yours,” Victoria threatened as the girl winced in pain. The rest of her friends ran away with fear. 

“Leave Carmen’s hand, Victoria. I’m sure she’s learnt her lesson. No one will mess with you now,” laughed Pete, coming up behind her. Victoria left the girl called Carmen and turned around to face Pete. 

“She insulted me, Pete. Anyway, here’s your gift. Happy birthday to you. I think I’ll leave. I’m not feeling well,” she lied. Pete looked hurt as he accepted the bottle of wine. 

“Thanks a lot but you have to wait till the cake cutting and dinner afterwards,” he insisted. “You can use one of the spare rooms if you don’t like it here. I’ll call you when we cut the cake,” said Pete.

“Okay, I’ll do that. Where’s Colton? I could be with him till then,” said Victoria. 

“Colton is too busy tonight. All our old friends are here and they won’t leave Colton easily,” laughed Pete. 

“Oh! Still I could sit with him,” said Victoria with a shrug. She somehow had the feeling that Pete didn’t want her to be with Colton. 

“Come on, I’ll take you to him but don’t blame me later that I didn’t warn you,” said Pete making Victoria immediately tense up. He led her down the corridor towards a room and opened the door. She could hear people talking, laughing inside. From behind Pete, she saw Colton sitting on a sofa with a drink in his hand. Just as Victoria was about to go inside, a woman in a short, red, figure-hugging dress walked up to him and sat on his lap. Victoria’s whole body trembled with jealousy and hurt. It was obvious that he wasn’t aware of her presence. So this was what he did behind her back? It only meant one thing. He didn’t have any feelings for her. He just wanted to get into her pants and that was all. 

Victoria didn’t wait to watch more. She whirled around and walked back towards the main entrance door. She just wanted to go home. Realizing that she wasn’t following him, Pete rushed after her. He caught her arm to stop her from leaving.

“Wait, Victoria. Please don’t leave without celebrating my special day with me. You can watch a movie in my bedroom. No one will disturb you there. I’ll call you for the cake cutting. You can have your dinner and then leave. Please?” begged Pete. Victoria hesitated but then Pete pleaded more and she gave in. 

“Okay, I’ll stay only till the cake-cutting,” she agreed. Pete nodded and led her to his huge bedroom. 

“Please make yourself at home, Victoria. Here’s the remote. You can watch any movie you want to. I’ll get you something to munch on while you’re at it, “ he offered. Victoria smiled, pleased by his efforts. After Pete left, Victoria absent-mindedly surfed through the movies available. Her mind was on what she had seen a few minutes earlier. Why couldn’t Colton be as nice as Pete? She had come here only because of Colton but it seemed as if he was busy with his f*ck buddies. No wonder he didn’t pick up her call! 

Pete returned with some delicious looking appetizers and drinks. “Will this do? I’ll come later, okay!” he said with a grin. Victoria nodded.

“Thanks. Don’t worry. You can look after your guests. I don’t need anything else,” she informed him. Pete nodded and walked away, closing the door after him. Victoria started a movie and munched on the food and sipped on the fruity alcoholic punchy.  It was too strong for her but at the moment she needed it badly. However, her head started swooning and soon she felt too dizzy to stay awake. She fell into the bed in an unconscious heap. 

After cutting the cake and feeding his guests, Pete wrapped up the party as quickly as possible. No one knew the reason why he was hurrying but his heart was beating rapidly. He knew what he wanted and she was already there in his bedroom, lying unconscious. 

It was a foolproof plan against Colton. All his life, with his good looks, he had snatched all the girls whom Pete had liked. Yet Pete hadn’t taken it to heart. But when the woman he loved, Charlotte, ended up on Colton’s bed as his one-night stand, his heart was broken forever. It was then that Pete swore to take his revenge some day. Now the time had come to take his revenge. He knew Colton liked Victoria too much and for the first time, the situation would be just the opposite. He hadn’t informed Colton that Victoria was here. So after the last guest left, he locked his door and walked towards his bedroom, his eyes glittering like devilishly.