Chapter Thirty-Two

It took Colton two months to track down and reach Charlotte. She was working in a hotel in California and came down to her parents house in Reno for the weekend. Colton met her and told her everything that happened and showed her the pictures too. When he showed her the message she gasped with horror. 

“”What a terrible thing to do, Colton? I don’t love him so whoever I chose to be with shouldn’t affect him this way. He shouldn’t have destroyed an innocent girl’s life just to take it out on you. I’m so disappointed in him!” said a shocked Charlotte. 

“Will you then help me to go to the root of this? I love Victoria and she’s been locked in her house ever since the incident. I just can’t get to her. I don’t know what’s going on. I need to talk to Pete but I don’t know where he’s hiding,” said Colton, helplessly. 

“He’s in Australia I know. He messaged me last month that he wanted to meet me. I didn’t reply,” said Charlotte.

“Even I know that he’s in Australia but I’m too busy with work at the moment. My business partner is unwell and I’m having to manage it all on my own,” said Colton. 

“Oh, that’s bad,” she said. “So, what do you want me to do?” asked Charlotte. 

“Are you married?” asked Colton.

“No, I just broke off with my last boyfriend. He was cheating on me,” said Charlotte. 

“I’m sorry that you had to go through that,” said Colton. 

“We all are going through sh*t. Are we not? I really want to help you with this girl since I somehow feel responsible for this mess,” said Charlotte. 

“No Charlotte. This isn’t your fault. I don’t know the facts right now but still if it’s anyone’s fault it is Pete’s,” said Colton. “And maybe mine as well,” he sighed.

“How is it yours?” asked Charlotte. 

“I judged her too soon without knowing the facts,” he admitted in a guilty tone.

“You didn’t know Colton. Anyway, everyone makes mistakes. Let’s try to make amends now, right?” she asked. Colton nodded at her. “So what do you want me to do?” asked Charlotte. 

“I want you to announce our marriage. Send Pete an invitation card to this address. I’m sure that will being him to Reno, “ said Colton. 

“And then?” asked Charlotte. 

“We both can charge him. He would never lie to you. I have proof against him. These pictures as well as a recording. I met Carmen a month back. She’s the only witness to Victoria’s presence that night at Pete’s house. I had to record my conversation with her without her knowledge. It’s e light to prove that Pete indeed had her in his bedroom and might have spiked her drinks,” said Colton. Charlotte’s eyes went wide.

“I never expected him to stoop so low,” she said looking disappointed. 

“So when do we proceed with all this?” asked Charlotte. 

“You can create a wedding invite and dispatch it to him. Keep the wedding after a fortnight,” said Colton. 

“I’ll do it and arrive here next weekend,” said Charlotte. 

“What if he goes to California to see you?” asked Colton. 

“He doesn’t know that I’ve joined work there. He’ll come to Reno first,” said Charlotte. “I’ll inform my parents. They’ll call me over,” she added. It was a foolproof plan. So Charlotte went back to California to do as asked. However her dad suffered a heart attack and she had to return immediately to Reno. All their plans got postponed.