Chapter Nine

In the evening, Victoria learnt to make an exotic dish from Greta. It came out well and they enjoyed their dinner. “You’ll need to practice before you actually cook for Colton,“ said Sofia. Victoria waved her off.

“I can manage. Who has the time to practice?” She said, helping herself to the delicious dish that she had learnt. Greta shook her head, obviously she didn’t agree with her but didn’t say a word further. Sofia dreaded the outcome of what Victoria was up to. She knew that her twin was playing with fire but Victoria was stubborn and wouldn’t listen to anyone. It was useless trying to warn her off Colton. 

The next day was a Sunday and a determined Victoria arrived at Colton’s house to make lunch for him. “I thought you would back out,” said Colton with an evil grin on his face. His whole body was tingling with excitement at the sight of her. He knew what he would do while the naïve girl had no idea of his intentions. He was satisfied that she had taken the bait and not given up yet. He would never be satisfied with what she cooked for him. That way he could have his kisses as well!

“Why should I? I never back out of challenges,” said Victoria with a determined expression on her face. 

“That’s nice to hear. So what are you making for me?” asked Colton following her into the kitchen.

“You’ll see,” said Victoria with a shrug. She proceeded to make preparations to cook the delicious beef stroganoff that she had learnt last night from Greta. Colton watched her with interest, standing too close to her, his chest touching her arms, his hot breath upon her neck. Victoria wanted to elbow him away and cook in peace. When she had a point to prove, why did he have to stand so close to her and watch her so minutely. It seemed as if he didn’t have any other work to do. 

“I don’t like rice for lunch. So what are you serving with the beef?” he asked, seeing her slice the beef. 

“I’m not making rice. I’m using egg pasta,” she pointed out. That quietened Colton and he came closer to peer at what she was doing. “Why don’t you go and do your work while I handle this?” asked Victoria at last. With him sticking to her, it was impossible to keep sane and cook. Colton gave her a look as if she had said something crazy.

“I need to see what you’re making. If it’s not at par with mine, you know that it won’t count,” he reminded her.

“You can taste it and then give your verdict. Till then, please let me do my work in peace,” she pleaded. Colton shrugged and walked away reluctantly. Victoria heaved a sigh of relief. She remembered what Greta taught her and proceeded with making the dish, trying hard to be perfect. She knew that he was difficult to please, so she gathered all her wits and cooked with care. She wouldn’t kiss him at all, so this was the only way to win. 

The whole time that she cooked, Colton paced the living room and then fidgeted around in the dining room, eagerly waiting for her to finish. His fate was dependent on the dish she was making. Whether he would get a kiss or not was the biggest question of the hour! He knew what he would do irrespective of how the dish came out. After forty minutes, Victoria served the food that she had prepared on the table. Colton sat down eagerly at the table just like a hungry child waiting to be fed! Victoria served him the delicious Beef Stroganoff served on a bed of egg noodles. 

“Beef Stroganoff! Impressive! Let’s see how it tastes, “ he said, placing a fork full into his mouth. The burst of flavor of the Worcestershire sauce, the sour cream and the Dijon mustard combined with the soft beef and the egg pasta along with chewy mushrooms made him close his eyes and savor the food. There was no doubt that the food was indeed perfect and extremely well prepared. For the first time in his life, he was dumbstruck by someone else’s culinary skills than his own. Victoria understood from his expression that he liked what she had made. She sat down quietly and served herself, waiting eagerly for his verdict.