Chapter Twenty-Four

“Colton? Are you drunk?” Asked Victoria looking bewildered seeing his furious, red eyes glaring back at her. Colton clenched his teeth with more fury, catching hold of her arm in a tight grip.

“How could you go with Pete when you can’t even talk to me properly?” He growled furiously. Victoria gaped at him with surprise. How did he know that she had gone out with Pete? Was he watching them?

“I just went to his house to meet his pets,” said Victoria, looking at Colton who seemed to be getting all the more furious. A few people passing by stared at them with curiosity making Victoria feel a little uncomfortable. 

“Lame excuse! You want me to believe you?” asked Colton furiously. 

“Don’t believe me then. I’m not answerable to you, Colton,” she said extracting herself and rushing off to Sofia’s house. Colton staggered home. It was just afternoon yet he was done for the day. The drinks didn’t drown his heartache or depression, he was still hurt and extremely jealous. When he would be in his senses, he would blast Pete and warn him off Victoria. However the next day, despite his warning Pete, he didn’t take Colton seriously. 

“Is she your girl?” asked Pete with a laugh. Colton looked uncomfortable.

“Not yet but she’ll soon be,” said Colton, looking away from his smirking face. Pete raised an eyebrow at him with disbelief. 

“Aren’t you against relationships? Are you playing with her?” asked a smirking Pete. Colton’s eyes turned red with fury and he grasped hold of the collars of Pete’s shirt. 

“I’m not playing with her,” Colton said furiously. Pete extracted himself from Colton’s grip. 

“Then what is it Colton? Don’t tell me that you are head over heels in love with her? I can’t believe that, “ laughed Pete. 

“I lo.., I mean I like her very much. I want to give our relationship a chance,” said Colton, looking a little offended. He couldn’t tell him how much he loved her. No one would believe that the mighty Colton Glenn was actually in love. 

“Even I like her very much. Even I want to give our relationship a chance,” challenged Pete. 

“What the f*ck, Pete! She’s taken, find yourself another to play with,” warned Colton. 

“If she would have already been your girl, I wouldn’t have approached her but she isn’t . So it’s fair that I too try my luck with her,” said Pete. Colton couldn’t control himself anymore. He punched Pete angrily. Pete too punched him back. 

“Stay away from my girl else I’ll murder you, Pete,” he threatened. 

“She’s not your girl yet. F*ck off Colton,” said Pete, pushing him away and climbing into his car to escape a furious Colton. After he left, Colton stormed off to work. He was pissed off with his life. He knew that he had started developing deeper feelings for Victoria but her attitude towards him aggravated him. It was true that they started on a wrong footing but couldn’t she like him a little? He loved her so much while all she could do was fight him. Was he so hateful that she had to befriend his rival, Pete Douglas?

Since childhood, although they were friends, Pete tried to compete with him in every sphere. Afterwards, when Pete had gone off to Australia, Colton hadn’t kept in touch. Now when he returned, Colton noticed that nothing had changed between them. Pete now wanted the same girl whom he liked. That rivalry was still there between them, more so from Pete’s side as always. 

The whole day Colton was restless thinking about what Pete would be up to. Was he back for good or would he go back to Australia in a few days? He prayed that Pete would return back forever. He didn’t want Pete to stay here and interfere in whatever relationship he had with Victoria. 
Victoria walked up to the pharmacy to get some medicines. She was nearly done when she felt as if she was being watched. Turning her head, she saw Pete, standing beside her and watching her with avid interest. “Hi! We're meeting again!” said Pete when their eyes met. Victoria was actually startled to see him here. It was weird that he stood there watching her silently without making any effort to talk.