Chapter Twenty-Five

“I give up,” said Victoria, giving up already. Colton chuckled and stopped at the Nevada Museum of Art. Victoria gaped at the small museum with wonder. 

“This is your favorite place?” She asked with curiosity. 

“Yes, it might look small but it packs a wonderful collection of contemporary and traditional art, sculptures, interactive exhibits, shows and a rooftop sculpture with a view of all of Reno and the surrounding mountains. You’ll see,” said Colton. He suddenly looked charged with a radiant smile on his face. The moment they climbed out of the car, he caught her hand and started pulling her towards the entrance of the museum. There were several permanent exhibits in the outside area and Colton stopped to show them to her.  

“These exhibits are pieces from the nearby Burning Man festival,” he explained. “Burning Man is an event focused on community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance held annually here in Nevada,” he added. Victoria was too absorbed in watching the spark in his eyes and the spring to his step than really listening to his explanation. 

“Why didn’t you study Fine Arts, Colton?” she asked as they  stood admiring one of the paintings. Colton turned to give her a stunned look. 

“Why do you ask?” he asked with curiosity. 

“I can see how much you love it,” said Victoria. Colton looked a little upset hearing her.

“I wanted to study but dad didn’t let me pursue it,” said Colton, looking away. 

“Oh,” said Victoria, tightening her hold on his hand. “But now you can. Can’t you?” She asked hopefully. Colton nodded. 

“Do you want me to?” he asked, his eyes searching hers.

“Yes, don’t you want to?” she asked him. Colton smiled happily. It was a dazzling smile which took her heart away. 

“Yes very much,” he said. “C’mon, let’s go inside,” he said, dragging her with him inside the museum. “There’s a French-inspired eatery inside. We could eat first if you’re hungry,” he suggested. 

“Yes, please. I’m super hungry,” said Victoria. He pulled her excitedly towards Chez Louie which looked like a cozy little romantic restaurant that Victoria loved immensely. With Colton,  even a cozy little restaurant seemed so romantic and exciting. He led her to a vacant table and poured over the menu card. 

“Whenever I’m here, I always have this steak, “ he said pointing at the item on the card. 

“We can order that. I love French crepes. I’ll have that as well,” said Victoria. 

“I make amazing crepes but that comes with a price, of course,” he told her, his eyes glinting with mischief. Of course, Victoria knew what he needed. 

“I’ll think about that some other time,” said Victoria with a giggle and Colton smiled at her hopefully. He noticed how she didn’t decline his offer. “Let’s order?” asked Victoria pulling him out of his La La land. 

So they ordered Entrecote steak served with French fries; egg – topped ham and cheese sandwiches; A salad and French Crepes with delicious strawberries and cream, salted butter and sugar and Nutella.  “So what did you do with Pete?” asked Colton, observing her closely. 

“Nothing much. I was at the pharmacy and he was there too. He wanted to come along when he heard that I was going to the bank. He then drove me to Sofia’s college to submit her leave application,” shrugged Victoria. Colton frowned at her words. He understood that Victoria just casually had accompanied Pete without being aware of his underlying intentions.