6. Displeasing First Impressions

The house was quiet as Estelle prepared for the meeting in the Dawn Court. Lysander was at the House of Wind with Corbin, as he had been for the past several days. Seren was in Windhaven, helping with the training efforts. Azriel was gone on official Spymaster business.

Estelle tugged on her leathers and buckled the numerous straps in place, then tucked her pendant beneath them. She made sure her shoulder pads and knee guards were properly situated before tugging on her boots. Estelle sheathed Znaniya on her thigh.

She paused before a mirror, taking in her reflection. Someday, the bare patches on her leathers would be filled by siphons. Someday, she would bear the tattoos of an Illyrian warrior beneath them. Estelle smiled at the thought.

The High Lord awaits, the shadows said.

"All right. We're going." She pushed open her balcony doors and leaped into the air. Estelle's wings snapped open and she glided effortlessly towards Rhys and Feyre's estate.

Nyx and Rhys were already waiting by the front doors when she arrived, but Rhys wore a troubled expression. Estelle tucked her wings close to her back as she landed.

He carries bad news, the shadows told her.

"What's wrong?" Estelle asked, glancing between her uncle and cousin.

"Something came up in Windhaven. Devlon asked that I come. You and Nyx will go the Dawn Court by yourselves," Rhys explained.

"What happened?"

He sighed, shaking his head. "Troublemaking novices."

Estelle and Nyx narrowed their eyes. "Ze'ev?" Nyx guessed.

Rhys gave a short nod. "Don't worry. I'll take care of it. Give Thesan my apologies and behave yourselves."

"We will." Rhys' own wings manifested and he flew away. Nyx faced Estelle. "I suppose we should get going. Do you want to fly or winnow?"

"Let's fly." Estelle's stomach was already knotted with nerves. "We've never handled a meeting on our own before."

Nyx gripped her shoulder firmly, flashing her a cocky smile. "Hey, it's us. We'll do great. Besides, Thesan has always been a kind male. He'll understand. It's not like we have to go meet with Eris or Tamlin alone."

They spread their wings and took off. "If we were faced with that situation, I'd prefer meeting with Eris. We know him better than Tamlin," Estelle replied.

Nyx hesitated. "True, but it couldn't hurt to make more of an effort to befriend Tamlin."

Estelle laughed and flew close enough to knock against his shoulder. "You just want to make a good impression on Venelia's dad. Did you go see her?"

"I thought you didn't want to know any details."

"I don't want details. I want vague stories."

Nyx rolled his eyes. "Yes, I went to see her."

"Did you sneak out? Were you caught?"

"No, I did not sneak out and no, I was not caught."

"Your parents let you go see her?"

Nyx rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "They didn't know that's where I'd gone. It's not that they'd keep me from her, but I know Dad would be wary to accept this. I just told them I was going on a flight and wouldn't be back for a while."

"I see. How do you think Tamlin would react if he knew?"

"I...I don't know. I don't think he's the same male our parents remember, but I don't think he's so greatly changed either. It would take him a long time to get used to the idea of Venelia and I, and I'm afraid he'd be angry at first."