31. Gasping for Breath

Estelle hooked her arms around his neck as he pushed her back against the wall. Mikael held her by her waist and neck, angling her head to one side as he kissed her again and again. His fingers buried themselves in her short curly hair.

    She threaded her fingers through the ends of his own, nudging his lips harder against hers. Mikael could scarcely draw a breath. His heart raced and instincts threatened to overwhelm him. Estelle tucked her leg around his hips.

    Mikael's hand left her waist and slipped beneath her thigh, holding her leg in place. His hips pressed hard against hers. Estelle pulled her lips from his with a soft moan and began pressing kisses to his jawline. Mikael buried his face in her hair, breathing her in.

    She slipped her hands beneath his shirt, digging her nails into his shoulder blades. Mikael loosed a shuddering breath. "Estelle," he murmured. He dropped a kiss to the spot beneath her ear and laid a line of them beneath it. Estelle tipped her head back as his lips grazed her neck.

    "You've been...thinking about this...for a while," she panted.

    "You have no idea." Mikael tilted her head back further and trailed kisses down the length of her throat. "Stars, Estelle, you have no idea." His lips met hers once more. "I feel like I've been suffocating and now I can finally breathe."

    "You've driven me mad. I can't go anywhere or do anything without seeing you." He kissed the corners of her mouth. "Scenting you." He kissed his way back towards her ear. "Hearing you. You have tormented me since the first day I laid eyes on you. You've owned my thoughts before we ever spoke a word to one another."

    "I wanted you when I thought I would grow to hate you. I wanted you when you did everything you could to stay away from me. I wanted you when I watched you fight and saw you bleed." Estelle's breaths were short gasps in his ear. "I want you, Estelle. By the fucking Cauldron, I want you."

    Mikael layered claiming kisses on her neck, her jaw, the corners of her mouth. "I'll do whatever you ask. Give you whatever you want." He buried his face against her neck, drinking in her smoke and snowdrop scent. "I'll do anything. Just say that you'll have me. Just tell me you care for me, as I care for you. Estelle. Estelle. Estelle." Her name was like a prayer on his lips, and one he couldn't whisper enough. "Please."

    "Yes," Estelle rasped. She kissed his hair. "I want you, Mikael. You can have me. I am yours. Angel of Dawn. Prince of Sunrises. Mikael." She tipped his chin up and kissed him gently, but claiming.

    She blinked, emotion flooding her amber eyes. "Words cannot describe what you are to me. I can't explain it. I can't explain any of it, but, Mikael, I'm not confused anymore. I meant it. I meant all of it. Every touch. Every look. Every word. I meant it all."

    "I know." He caressed her cheek, studying her gaze intently. "I know." Mikael pulled her close again, letting his kisses fall soft on her lips now.

    He broke off abruptly as the door knocked open. Mikael leaned his head back with a frustrated groan. "Am I interrupting something?" Celeste cooed.

    Estelle rested her chin against his shoulder, glowering at her friend. Mikael stifled a snort of laughter. They had to make an interesting sight, with Estelle's legs around his waist, her hands beneath his shirt, and him holding her against a wall while kneeling on the bed.

    "Devlon wants you, Estelle. He mentioned something about the exchange tomorrow." Celeste laughed, ducking out of the room. "You made it with one evening to spare!"

    "What is she talking about?" Mikael asked.

    "She and Sienna dared me to kiss you. I told them I wouldn't unless I meant it. They said that if I hadn't kissed you before we left Windhaven, they would publicly humiliate me somehow."