67. Homecoming

Estelle woke to familiar surroundings. She was in her room at the townhouse. She lay beneath her bedcovers, dressed in a light shirt and a pair of shorts. The shadows were hovering around her, whispering incessantly. Magic hummed through her veins, and she felt very little soreness throughout her body.

Estelle twisted and saw her siphons sitting on a table. Her weapons lay sheathed beside the gems. Mikael's weapons were there too. She shifted again. Mikael was nowhere to be seen. Instead, it was Lysander sprawled across the bed beside her, snoring even louder than their Uncle Cassian.

She smiled, both in amusement and affection. Her heart clenched and she looked away. She caught sight of her parents next. They sat in a chair near the fireplace. Azriel's head was propped up by his hand. Seren was asleep on his lap, her dark head resting against his chest. Shadows surrounded the two of them.

Estelle watched them for a few moments. Lysander's snores ceased and she glanced at him. He watched her through wide hazel eyes. "How do you feel?"

"Much better," Estelle replied. Her mouth was as dry as sawdust. "Is there any water around here?"

Lysander nodded and sat up. He pulled a cup off a nightstand and filled it with water from the pitcher beside it. He offered her the cup. Estelle took it gingerly and drank. Lysander bit his lip, averting his eyes.

"Where's Mikael?" She asked when her cup was empty.

"In one of the guest rooms. Madja is treating him now. He refused to let her near him until she'd taken care of you."

"Are Thesan and Ameer here?"

Lysander nodded. "They're with Mikael and Madja." He combed his fingers through his hair with a sigh. Lysander lifted his pendant and brushed his thumb over the crest. "I'm sorry, Estelle. We didn't realize you were gone until the next morning. By then, it was too late. Devlon confirmed that the Rite had begun and we knew you'd been pulled into it. There was nothing we could do. Devlon called Rhys, Nyx, Feyre, and Venelia back from the Spring Court, but..."

Estelle gripped her brother's hand, squeezing it tightly. "I know, Lys. There's nothing anyone could've done. We survived. That's what's important."

Lysander smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "You reached the summit. You touched the monolith. Devlon realized it as soon as Dad left with you and Mikael. You're a Carynthian warrior, Essie."

Estelle rested her head back against her pillow, laughing weakly. "I don't give a fuck what I am. I'm alive, and so is Mikael."

"Watch your language," Seren interrupted. She and Azriel were awake, watching them with shining eyes.

"You've said it too, Mom," Lysander pointed out.

Seren slid off Azriel's lap and bent over Estelle, kissing her forehead. Estelle hugged her tightly, a lump forming in her throat. "Do you need anything? Are you sore? Hungry? Thirsty?" Seren asked, smoothing hair from Estelle's face. "Perhaps I should let Madja know you're awake, or Amren and Lucien."

"They're here again?" Estelle raised an eyebrow.

"They came the moment we told them you were dragged into the Blood Rite," Azriel replied. "Everyone is here."

"I'll let them know you're all right," Seren said. "I love you, Sweetheart." She planted another kiss on Estelle's forehead before backing away. "Lysander?"

He leaned over and hugged Estelle, squeezing until she was certain her eyes were going to pop out of her head. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she replied. Finally, Lysander let go and joined Seren.