42. Private Agendas

Mikael sat in a chair near the fireplace, Estelle lounging on his lap. The scent of cinnamon, peppermint, and chocolate filled the air. Gifts had already been passed around and opened. Piles of them sat on the floor around everyone.

    From Nyx, Mikael had been given several books regarding aspects of magic and instructions for powerful spells. Nyx had explained that he asked for suggestions from Amren. Mikael didn't miss the pointed look Thesan flashed at him, but he pretended to ignore it.

    Corbin and Lysander had given him a gift together. They'd had Illyrian swords made for both him and Calden. Mikael didn't know what he'd name the blade yet, but he was excited to wield it. Sienna's gift was a sheath for his new sword. She gave Calden one as well.

    Celeste and Estelle had given him books too, although these ones were novels. Celeste claimed they were just as informative as Nyx's gifts, but Mikael wasn't convinced. That is, he wasn't convinced until Estelle had whispered some very...explicit...things in his ear. He'd excused himself from the room at that point and didn't return until the roaring in his blood calmed.

    Estelle's gifts were as numerous as his own. She'd received new books from Celeste and Sienna, a set of leathers from Corbin, a pair of boots from Lysander, and fingerpaints from Nyx. Mikael had given her one of his presents, a set of Illyrian leathers as well, matching his own gold and white ones. When Estelle reminded him that black was her color, his response was that he matched her from time to time, so it was only fair that she matched him.

    Corbin leaned back against a sofa with a sigh. "I wonder who won the annual snowball fight this morning."

    "Annual snowball fight?" Calden raised an eyebrow. "What's that?"

    "It's a tradition our fathers have had for centuries," Nyx explained. "On the Solstice morning, they go to a cabin in the mountains and have a snowball fight. They usually spend several hours up there, before returning home for gifts and food. Lucien and Eris are invited to join in and so are we."

    "Not me," Estelle interrupted. "It's a males only event." She rolled her eyes.

    "You'd rather go outside and make squiggles anyway," Lysander teased.

    "Squiggles?" Mikael asked.

    "It's what she calls snow angels," Lysander said as Estelle's cheeks flushed. "Her shadows leave indentions in the snow extending from hers, like squiggly lines. She's called snow angels squiggles since before I was born."

    "Adorable." Mikael pressed a light kiss to Estelle's neck.

    "Why don't we have our own snowball fight?" Calden suggested.

    "There's no snow up here," Sienna pointed out. "The Palace sits above the clouds."

    "We'll go to one of the valleys," Calden clarified, rolling his eyes.

    "Let's do it." Corbin leaped to his feet. Lysander and Nyx nodded, rising as well. Estelle slid off Mikael's lap. He reluctantly let go of her.

    "Have fun," Thesan called as they traipsed out of the room.

    They made their way out onto one of the verandas. Mikael and Calden leaped into the air simultaneously, swooping down towards the mountains. The rest of the group followed, laughing and jostling one another. Mikael fluffed his feathers up against the cold. His skin warmed beneath his insulated Illyrian leathers.

    They dove through the clouds and came out beneath them, the ends of their hair frosted with ice. Mikael shook his head, flinging the ice off into the wind. They landed in a snow filled valley presently.