55. Fountain of Dawn

Mikael couldn't sleep, even after they reached the summit of the mountain. The Fountain of Dawn delved into a lake at the base of a cliff. Come morning, he would fly up the cliffside and reach the very crest of Aurora, where the Fountain originated.

    Estelle was sound asleep beside him, her hair damp and frizzy from the clouds and mist that coated the ground. Mikael couldn't wrap his mind around this place. There shouldn't be clouds. There shouldn't be grass. It shouldn't be warm. Somehow, it possessed all of those things.

    Beneath the clouds swirling around them was soft, miraculously dry, grass. The air was just as warm as on a summer morning. Stars shone brightly overhead. The sky was tinged pink in the east. Mikael sat up, swallowing hard.

    They had actually made it. He was going to drink from the Fountain of Dawn. He almost couldn't believe it. Mikael glanced at Estelle as she shifted in her sleep. Most of her scratches from the landslide were gone, thanks to her accelerated Illyrian healing, which was mostly unaffected by the spells and wards on the mountain. His own injuries had vanished as well.

    Mikael pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh. He'd been such an idiot, ignoring the panic she felt. His stupidity nearly cost both of their lives. He brushed his knuckles over her cheek and shadows crept up his arm.

    Estelle blinked her eyes open with a yawn. "Is it time?" She asked, her words slurred by drowsiness.

    "Yes." She sat up and Mikael wrapped an arm around her shoulders, kissing her temple. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

    Estelle smiled, her eyes half closed. "You've apologized over one hundred times at least."

    "And I won't be able to apologize enough. You were panicking and I ignored you. I nearly got us killed."

    "Mikael, don't." She rested her head on his shoulder. "You were an ass, but I know this has been difficult for you in a variety of ways. You've apologized and we're all right. There's no need to dwell on it any longer."

    Estelle stood and began to stretch. Mikael watched her, quietly stroking the Bond. His gaze wandered over her lithe frame. He greatly appreciated the way her leathers hugged her curves. Heat snapped to life within his chest, but he attempted to shove it aside. He'd finally gotten his instincts somewhat under control. Now wasn't the time to lose focus. She would be his completely soon enough.

    Mikael stood and stretched his wings. The sky was growing brighter rapidly, but the sun hadn't risen above the mountains yet. He glanced at Estelle and she gave him a small nod. They spread their wings, leaping into the air.

    They flew up the length of the cliffside, mist from the Fountain wetting their faces. They landed just as the first rays of dawn spilled over the mountains. Mikael's breath caught. The Fountain of Dawn glowed like golden fire in the sunlight.

    "The veins of the Dawn Court itself," Estelle murmured.

    Mikael fell to his knees, drawing in a steadying breath. He cupped his hands in the water and drank. It was cool and crisp. It tasted of sky and breath and sunlight. It tasted of Dawn.

    "I pledge myself to the Court of Dawn," he said, bowing his head. "To protect these lands and these people. To fight for them when they cannot fight for themselves. To serve them as well and as long as I am able. To give my life for them, should the need arise. This I swear, and my vow is true."

    Estelle knelt beside him and drank as well. She did not speak a vow though, and he understood why. Until they were officially mated, she would serve the Night Court first and foremost. She would swear an oath to her people before she'd be able to give one to him and his own.