65. Over the Edge

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle shivered near the smoldering fire Mikael had built. They were camped beneath a rocky ledge, just beyond the mountain pass. Come morning, they would follow the rise of the land along the ridge. Ze'ev's attack would come, but somehow, they would defeat him and reach the monolith.

Estelle curled her hands beneath her face, staring at the glowing embers. She was sweating, but still felt so cold. Her ankle throbbed painfully. None of her other injuries were acting up though, and Mikael was all right.

He sat near the outer part of the ledge, keeping watch. He was paranoid that Ze'ev or his creatures would attack them before they reached the gorge. They had managed to avoid contact with other Illyrians at least, and there were very few animals this high up on the mountain. That also meant there was very little food, and Estelle's empty stomach constantly reminded her of that fact.

After a few minutes, Mikael returned to her side. He picked up their knives and set to work sharpening them, while making sure they were still firmly attached to the handles. His chestnut gaze slid to hers, his concern evident. "If things go poorly tomorrow, get to the monolith as quickly as you can. Let me buy you time."

Estelle shook her head. "I'm not leaving without you." She shivered violently and sweat beaded along her brow.

Mikael leaned over her and wiped it away. "If it comes to that, yes, you are. You are my first priority, Estelle. You need to get to safety. You need to find help. Your fever is getting worse by the minute. Other symptoms will begin to show soon."

Tears blurred her vision as she shook her head again. "No, we both survive or neither of us do."

"Estelle..." Mikael sighed.

"No. Don't ask me to leave you behind. I won't." Mikael watched her, resignation shining in his eyes. "I won't," Estelle repeated firmly. It was a struggle to keep her voice from shaking as she shuddered.

Mikael said nothing. He pulled her onto his lap and cradled her close to his chest. Estelle stroked the Bond, but he showed no signs of feeling the gesture. She closed her eyes, drawing in deep breaths. Her chest was tight and congested.

Mikael pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned his head back against the rocky wall. "Mother above, I need a drink."

"Me too," Estelle chuckled. "When we get out of here, I'm going to the cabin and stealing some of Aunt Mor's good alcohol."

"And then we're going to be mated," Mikael agreed. He kissed her hair softly.

"And after that?" Estelle prompted. Drowsiness tugged at her mind, but she managed to keep her eyes open.

"Get some sleep, Batsy."

"Answer the question, Feathers."

Mikael rolled his eyes, but smiled. "And then we're going home and sleeping for two weeks straight."

"Well, let me tell you what I think we should do." She hesitated a few moments, trying to catch her breath. Mikael leaned his head down and she brought her lips to his ear. "I think you should fuck me until I can't even walk."

His breath caught and he swallowed hard. "That fever is getting the better of you, Batsy, if that's what you're thinking about right now."

Estelle kissed him, shifting her hips in his lap. Mikael groaned softly into her mouth. A warm feeling fluttered through her stomach. "Admit that you think it's a good idea."