46. Gory Futility

Estelle! Mikael shouted across the Bond. Umbra was writhing against his arm. Something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong.

    How could I not have noticed she wasn't with us? Mikael scolded himself. Why didn't I stay with her? Where is she? He surveyed the war camp again. There was no sign of her anywhere.

    Nyx grabbed his shoulder. "She won't answer me either."

    Mikael glanced behind them. Seren's gaze was frantic with fear. Azriel held her tightly and she clung to him, her entire body trembling. Lysander looked between Mikael and his parents, his features taut with worry.

    "Where is she?" Seren rasped.

    "What's going on?" A familiar female with large brown eyes and crippled wings approached. Jorah spotted Seren and ran to her at once. "Ser, what's wrong?" Devlon wasn't far behind his mate.

    "Estelle is missing," Azriel replied. His shadows wrapped around Seren, threading through her hair and covering her scarred arms. Seren attempted to smother a sob. Azriel stroked her hair, whispering something to her.

    "Where did you last see her?" Devlon asked, joining Mikael, Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin. He crossed his arms, waiting for an answer.

    The four of them glanced at one another. "I spoke to her on the way here," Lysander replied. "We flew with each other until we crossed into the Night Court."

    "Did she fall behind?"

    Nyx shook his head. "If she had, she could've used the shadows to catch up."

    "Have you tried reaching out to her?" Mikael was surprised to see a hint of concern in Devlon's harsh hazel eyes.

    "Yes. She won't answer me. She won't answer Seren or Mikael either."

    Devlon fixed his gaze on Mikael. "You? Why would she be able to answer you?"

    "She's my mate," Mikael replied. He kept yanking on the Bond, hoping that Estelle would return the gesture.

    Devlon ran his fingers through his hair with a sigh. "Shit. We'll keep Seren and Azriel occupied. The four of you, return to the spot you last saw Estelle and start looking for her. Nyx, you should warn your father and ask him to summon Madja in case she's been injured."

    Nyx nodded and they leaped into the air. They flew away from Windhaven, riding the cold currents of air. No one said a word. Mikael called out to Estelle every few seconds and continuously pulled on the Bond. Nothing. Her silence was deafening. Terrifying.

    He blinked rapidly, tears burning his eyes. Don't overreact, he scolded himself. I'm sure she's all right. We'll find her and this will all have been some sort of misunderstanding. He couldn't shake off the darker thoughts that loomed in the corner of his mind. What if she was injured? What if she was dying? He had just found her! She couldn't be taken from him now!

    "My parents are going to Windhaven," Nyx said presently. "Dad, Cassian, and Azriel are going to come help us look for Estelle. Mikael, have you felt anything?"

    Mikael shook his head, swiping his hand across his eyes angrily. "We'll find her," Corbin promised.

    "I know we will. I'm not worried about that," Mikael answered hoarsely. "I'm worried about how we'll find her." He tugged on the Bond. As long as he could feel its shimmering presence, he knew she was alive.

    "I left her just before we flew over the Illyrian Mountains," Lysander said. "We should start at the end of the range."

    They all nodded, increasing their speed. Mikael tensed as Umbra strained against his arm. He slowed his pace, falling behind the other males. They paused up ahead.