34. Troubles Present and Future

Mikael led Estelle through the Palace, pointing out room after room, and recounting the memories he had in each one. She was unusually quiet today and he couldn't help but wonder if it was because of what had been going on between him and Nyx.

The male had sought him out the night before and apologized for his behavior. Mikael did as well, but things were still tense. Lysander mentioned that Estelle spoke with Nyx about what had happened, but she had yet to say anything about that conversation to him. Mikael didn't know if she would or not, and he didn't ask. He trusted that she would tell him when she was ready.

He pushed the library doors open and Estelle followed him inside. Her gaze swept the vast chamber, taking in the numerous shelves, glowing fireplaces, and cushioned chairs. "This is larger than the library in Feyre and Rhys' estate," she said. "Have you read all of these books?"

Estelle drifted towards a shelf and pulled one down. She flipped through the pages carefully. "Not all of them," Mikael replied. "Some are in different languages. I've never been good at interpreting things."

Estelle glanced up with a smile. "You're a scholar who can't learn another language?"

"We all have our shortcomings, Batsy." He moved over to another sitting area. "This is my favorite spot. The window has a wonderful view of the valleys on clear days. The chairs are broken in so they're very comfortable. This also happens to be the warmest area in the library."

Estelle dropped down onto a chaise lounge and let her wings fall slack on either side of it. "It's cold out today."

"It's only going to get colder. The mountains always grow cold faster than the rest of the Court."

"That's how it is at home too." She closed her eyes and draped an arm over them.

"Are you all right?" Mikael asked.

"Yes, I just haven't been feeling well today."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"I don't think so." Estelle lowered her arm. "Show me some of your favorite books. Are they all informative or do you read fun stuff too?"

Mikael grinned and flew to one of the higher shelves. He tugged several books out of their slots and carried them down to Estelle. "Most of them are informative, but there are some novels."

Estelle propped herself up on her elbow as he placed one book in front of her. "I like to read about magic, but Father doesn't let me practice many of the spells I find until he's tested them himself. He occasionally asks for my help when trying out a spell though."

Estelle leafed through the book, taking in the instructions and depictions of several spells. "These look like things Amren would be interested in." She pushed the book aside and he handed her another one. "A book on the former High Lords of the Dawn Court?"

Mikael nodded. "I like to research past rulers. I study the decisions they made, why they made them, and what other courses of action they could've taken. I examine the outcomes of their choices and the effects it had on the Court."

"Is there a specific reason why?" She asked.

Mikael sighed and turned away, tucking his wings close to his back. He leaned against the chaise and grabbed another book. Mikael thumbed through it absentmindedly as he replied. "I'm worried I won't be a good High Lord. I'm afraid that I'll make stupid choices that will make my people despise me even more. I don't want my father to worry about the future of the Court. I want him to trust that I can take care of our people."

"I just..." He combed his fingers through his hair. "My parents weren't married when I was conceived and they never married after I was born. I'm a halfbreed and a bastard. There's never been a High Lord like me in the history of the Dawn Court. The people are wary of accepting me because of that."