24. Goldenhearted Teasing

Following training the next morning, Mikael and Estelle flew to the Palace. Ameer accompanied them, flying alongside Mikael. "Are you sure about this?" He asked. "Illyrian magic isn't safe."

"No magic truly is, Father," Mikael replied. "Don't worry. We'll take precautions. It will be fine." Personally, he found himself excited for the lessons to come. He was curious about the extent of Estelle's power, and it gave him the opportunity to study unbridled Illyrian magic.

Ameer sighed, shaking his head. "Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever stop being so curious."

"Probably not," Mikael laughed.

Ameer smiled, glancing at him. "I remember when you were little, before you could even fly, you were curious about what clouds tasted like. You slipped away from your nurse and managed to go outside on one of the verandas. Thesan found you just as you fell off, but he luckily, he caught you."

"We tried to convince you that clouds had no taste, but you didn't believe us. You were determined to find out for yourself. You kept sneaking off and driving us mad with worry, so I finally took you down and let you try to taste a cloud. You were very disappointed."

Mikael shook his head with a laugh. "I don't remember that."

"You were really little. Four, I believe."

Mikael laughed again, then glanced over his shoulder. Estelle was hiding a grin, as though she too had heard the story. The shadows had probably told her. They reached the Palace at last. Estelle landed beside Mikael and they followed Ameer inside.

Thesan was waiting for them in a hallway. Estelle lowered her gaze as he greeted Ameer with a kiss. "Would you mind checking on the guard rotations?" Thesan asked quietly. "I think several of them have been skipping shifts, thinking I wouldn't notice."

Ameer nodded. "I'll handle it." Mikael followed Estelle's example as his father lowered his lips to Thesan's ear, whispering something. Thesan laughed, smacking Ameer's arm. The Peregryn sauntered away, a pleased grin lighting up his face.

"All right, Mikael. You mentioned there was something you needed my help with?" Thesan asked, approaching them.

Mikael nodded, holding out his wrist. Thesan examined the tattoo, tilting his head curiously. Estelle revealed her matching one. "We made a deal and need your help with part of it," Mikael explained. "I want to help Estelle learn to control her magic as well as she can without siphons."

Thesan regarded Estelle for a moment. "All right. When did you want to get started?"

"As soon as possible?" Estelle replied.

Thesan nodded. "We'll go to the clearing you first started training in, Mikael. It's still warded, so it should be safe enough. I'll need to get an idea for the spectrum of your power, Estelle, and the control you already have before we start any actual training."

They both nodded and Thesan took them each by the arm. Wind roared in Mikael's ears as they winnowed out of the Palace. They arrived in a familiar valley, deep within the mountains. There were scattered groves of trees and several small shrubs growing throughout it. A stream flowed into a pond nearby.

Estelle bit her lip, looking somewhat nervous. "You won't mind if this place gets...completely destroyed, will you?"

Thesan smoothed his hair back with a skeptical sigh. "It's been destroyed before and managed to regrow."

"Can you shield yourselves?"

"We'll be fine," Mikael said reassuringly. "Show us what you've got, Batsy." He retreated to his father's side. Their hands glowed as they cast shields over themselves.