10. Unforseen Infuriants

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

"Did you get settled in all right?" Lysander asked, leaning closer to Estelle.

They stood outside the markers of several training rings, waiting for their turns to come. Estelle was pleased to see that there were several matches going at once. That meant there wouldn't be a lot of focus on her. Then again, she could be mistaken. Her shadows seemed to be attracting plenty of attention from the curious Peregryns.

"Yes," she replied. "My roommates are nice enough. They're friends with Mikael."

Lysander grimaced. "Oh. Do they know about your argument?"

Estelle nodded. "Sienna told me it was her fault he was hungover in the first place. I don't know if that's true or if she was just trying to help fix things."

"Does it matter?" Nyx asked, popping up behind them. "You still have to apologize to him and make an effort to get along."

"I know," Estelle sighed. "Where's Corbin?"

"He paired up with Calden for training this morning. Apparently, he thinks that Calden can teach him some tricks so he can get one over on us."

Lysander slung an arm over Nyx's shoulders. "As if that will ever happen."

"Hey!" Celeste skipped over to them, a bright smile lighting up her features. "Do one of you want to spar with me? A ring just opened up."

"Sure," Lysander replied with a smile. He joined Celeste and they started towards the ring. "I'm Lysander, Estelle's brother. You can call me Lys."

"Celeste."

"Does Venelia know what's going on?" Estelle asked, lowering her voice. "I imagine she wouldn't be too happy if you suddenly stopped seeing her without an explanation."

"She knows," Nyx replied, his starlit sapphire gaze roaming over the training rings. "She was none too pleased when I told her how much we'd have to change our schedule." He grinned to himself. "At least I don't have to come here every two weeks like you."

Momentary panic flooded her mind. It had never occurred to her that the Boys wouldn't be coming as often as she did. Estelle groaned and scrubbed at her face. At least they're here now, she thought. I'll be more comfortable on my own next time.

"Are you all right?" Nyx asked.

"Yes. I just didn't realize that you, Lys, and Corbin wouldn't be coming here as often as I am."

Nyx offered her a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Essie."

"It's a punishment. I know." Estelle shook off her worries and elbowed him in the ribs. "Besides, we wouldn't want to keep you away from Venelia for too long."

Nyx rubbed the back of his neck, a blush creeping into his cheeks. "You're just trying to make sure Lys and Corbin find out, aren't you?"

Estelle batted her eyelashes, flashing him a coy look. "Of course not. Lys and Corbin find out about sweet and innocent little Nyxie's secret lover? We wouldn't want that to happen." She gave his head a patronizing pat. "Your secret is safe with me, as I said. Of course, I can't help it if they happen to overhear  us."

"Some days, I really despise you," Nyx grunted.

"Hey, Batsy."

Estelle narrowed her eyes, hearing Mikael's voice close by. She looked up and saw him waiting in a training ring, a sheathed sword balanced across his shoulders. Estelle gritted her teeth as Nyx pushed her towards the ring.