64. A Promise of Power

Estelle opened her eyes wearily. It took a moment for her vision to clear. When it did, she was staring up at the roof of a cave. Her head was propped up by something. Her injured ankle was wrapped tightly and raised as well. Her boot lay nearby.

    Estelle felt around her stomach and chest. There were holes in her leathers, but she couldn't feel her wounds. She unbuckled her leathers partially and was surprised to see that most of her wounds were wrapped by fabric. Some of them were uncovered but smeared with tree sap.

    Her fingers brushed against two necklaces. With a start, Estelle held them up. Both of her necklaces were there, the gift from Mikael and her family pendant. She shifted her wings beneath herself and was surprised when she didn't feel the chains digging into them. She looked down and saw that the chains had been wrapped in thin cloth as well, acting as a barrier between them and her wings.

    Estelle craned her head to one side. Tears welled up in her eyes. Mikael was standing in the mouth of the cave, staring outside. He hadn't noticed she was awake yet. Several of her shadows were woven around the ashwood chains that bound his beautiful feathered wings. He was covered in dirt and blood, but he seemed to be all right. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks. He was all right. Mikael was all right. He'd found her. He was here. He was with her.

    Mikael glanced over his shoulder. His breath caught and he ran to her. Estelle sobbed as he pulled her against his chest, stroking her hair and pressing frantic kisses to her cheek and temple. "Are you all right?" He asked breathlessly. "Am I hurting you?" He loosened his hold at once. Estelle hugged him harder. She was shaking again. "It's all right," Mikael murmured. "It's all right."

    "You're here," Estelle rasped. "I thought you'd be on the other side of the mountain. I thought I wouldn't have a remote chance of finding you before I reached the summit. You're here."

    "I'm here. I'm here, Love." Mikael leaned his head back, lips moving in a silent prayer. "I'm here."

    They clung to each other tightly. Estelle closed her eyes, burying her face in Mikael's neck. She breathed in his warm comforting scent and threaded her fingers through the ends of his hair.

    "Are you hurt?" She asked after a moment.

    "Just a few injuries from a wolf that attacked me. There were two Illyrians who attacked me as well. I..." Mikael hesitated. "I killed them."

    Estelle drew back, meeting his gaze. "That was your first time, wasn't it?" Mikael nodded, lowering his eyes, but not before she saw the guilt that filled them. Estelle tipped his chin up and brushed her lips across his. "The first time is always the hardest. The guilt you feel is terrible. Suffocating. Killing someone never gets easier, but you won't feel the guilt as sharply as you do the first time."

    "I feel like I killed them for nothing," Mikael admitted. "Their lives were taken pointlessly."

    "Mikael, we are in a kill or be killed situation. If you hadn't killed them, they would've killed you." She cupped his face in her hands and pressed their foreheads together. "You did what you had to in order to survive. Their deaths may seem pointless, but they weren't. It's hard, I know, but don't let the guilt of what you've done cripple you now."

    Mikael closed his eyes with a small nod. "I'm trying. But if we ever need an executioner when I'm High Lord, I'll just let you deal with it."

    "High Lady Estelle Anik, part time executioner," Estelle chuckled. "It has a nice ring to it." She shivered slightly and leaned into Mikael. "It's cold tonight."

    Mikael pursed his lips. "It is, but that's not the only reason why you're cold." He touched his knuckles to her forehead. "I noticed you were running a fever while I patched up your wounds."