15. History and Healing

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Mornings in the Illyrian Mountains were much colder than Mikael anticipated. His breath frosted in the air as he stood outside the training rings, waiting for his turn to spar. He'd fluffed his feathers out and tucked his wings around his shoulders in an effort to stay warmer.

    "It'll warm up later," Lysander chuckled, stepping closer to him. "We could always find you some Illyrian leathers too."

    "Are they insulated?" Mikael asked, his scholar's curiosity getting the better of him.

    Lysander nodded. "Estelle mentioned she was getting some for Celeste and Sienna later. We might as well help you and Calden fit in."

    "What are we doing?" Calden slung an arm over Mikael's shoulders.

    "Lys is offering to help us track down Illyrian leathers. They're supposedly warmer than our own," Mikael explained.

    Calden shrugged. "Why not? Illyrian leathers are functional, and I've heard plenty of females admiring them."

    Mikael rolled his eyes with a laugh. "I'll take that as a yes."

    "I'll find you this afternoon and we'll pay a visit to my Aunt Emerie," Lysander promised.

    "For now..." Mikael let his hands grow warm with magic. He reached across his chest and gripped Calden's wrist that lay against his shoulder.

    Calden gave a contented sigh. "Having friends with magic really comes in handy sometimes."

    Mikael tensed as Umbra slid down his arm and dangled just beyond the cuff of his sleeve. The shadow brushed against his hand. He watched Umbra curiously. Can shadows get cold too? He wondered. I wouldn't think things like temperature bothered them.

    His gaze drifted across the cluster of warriors to where Estelle stood beside Celeste. Her arms were wrapped around herself and she had her eyes closed. She looked tired. Mikael narrowed his eyes. Had his presence prevented her from sleeping or was there something else bothering her?

    An Illyrian came flying out of the training ring, catching Mikael's attention. Another male leaped over the fence and stared down at his defeated opponent. There was a cruel smirk on his lips.

    "Come back when you know how to fight like a warrior," the male spat. He straightened and his gaze landed on Estelle. "Well, well, well. Look who's back. It's been about four weeks since I last saw you, Bitch. Did these feathered cowards teach you any new tricks?"

    By now, Mikael recognized the way Estelle's wings tucked against her back and how the shadows coiled around her limbs. She was angry, despite the cold mask shrouding her features. Corbin reached for her a moment too late. Estelle approached the male, her head held high.

    "If they did, wouldn't that mean I possess more skills than you?"

    Mikael's eyes widened. Mother above, even her voice was layered with ice. Maybe she can teach me how to do that, he thought.

    "And in turn, wouldn't that make me a better warrior?" Estelle continued.

    The male bared his teeth in a snarl. He lunged and Estelle's foot collided with his chest. The male crashed backwards into the ring. Estelle gave a flap of her wings and cleared the fence. She prowled around the ring, waiting for him to right himself.