9. Uneasy Beginnings

Mikael folded his arms across his chest with a resigned sigh. He was waiting at the training grounds along with Ameer and Calden. The Illyrian warriors would be arriving soon and he'd have to help them get situated. He'd already sent off the group of Peregryns who would be staying in Windhaven for two weeks.

    At first, Mikael had been skeptical about his father and Rhysand's plan. After all, it didn't seem fair that his people should be split up amongst different Illyrian war camps, when the Illyrians visiting the Dawn Court would be in the same location. An agreement had been reached which settled those fears.

    The Peregryn warriors would train only in Windhaven, where Rhysand's most trusted Warlord could oversee them. At least I didn't have to go to Windhaven this time, Mikael thought. This will be interesting enough, though. He'd been informed that when Estelle, her brother, and her cousins were in the Dawn Court, he'd be expected to live on the grounds as well. He would accompany them, just as they would be expected to accompany him when he traveled to the Night Court.

    "There they are," Calden said, jerking his chin up. Mikael followed his gaze. Sure enough, a dozen Illyrians flew towards them. Some were older, some were younger. All looked unimpressed.

    Mikael straightened and drew in a deep breath as the group landed. Ameer gave him a prompting look and he stepped forward. "Welcome to the Dawn Court," Mikael said. "This is Ameer, Captain of the Guards and Commander of the Peregryn Legion. He's in charge of overseeing the training of our warriors. You'll be taking orders from him for the next two weeks."

    Ameer briefly dipped his chin to Mikael as he retreated to Calden's side. "While you're here, you'll live as we do," Ameer took over. "Males and females live separately unless married or mated, but I've been informed that you all will simply live separately. You will train together with other Peregryns and stick to the schedule I'll set out. Any issues that arise will be dealt with by our High Lord."

    "The barracks you're shown to is where you will stay every time you come here. Remember your roommates. They'll be some of your best friends for the foreseeable future." Ameer beckoned for the warriors to follow.

    Mikael and Calden lingered as the Illyrians obeyed. Three males hung around Estelle towards the back of the group. Mikael recognized Nyx. One of the other males bore a close resemblance to Estelle. He wasn't sure who the second one was.

    The four of them took off after the rest of their group. Mikael and Calden joined them. Calden butted in between the two unfamiliar males while Mikael joined Nyx. "I'm excited to see how this turns out," Nyx said. "Do you have any good tricks you plan on sharing with us?"

    "Maybe. You'll just have to wait and see. Who are they?"

    "The one with longer golden brown hair is Corbin. The other is Lysander. He's Estelle's younger brother."

    "I see."

    "Do you know where we'll be staying?"

    Mikael nodded. "The three of you will stay together and Calden and I will be there too. The males who usually occupy this barrack went to Windhaven."

    "And Estelle?" Nyx raised an eyebrow. There was a hint of concern in his gaze.

    "She'll be with two of my female friends. Celeste and Sienna. They'll take care of her."

    "Just them?"

    "Yes. There aren't as many female Peregryns as there are males, so the females get more room to themselves."

    The training grounds melted away, revealing the barracks. Ameer was already sorting out the Illyrians. Several Peregryns were waiting to meet the newcomers and escort them to their new quarters.