28. Unspoken Words

Three days passed and neither Estelle nor Mikael mentioned what had transpired on the bridge. To Mikael, it seemed like Estelle was desperately trying to pretend like it hadn't even happened. He wished he could do the same.

    He'd lain in bed that night, watching her sleep, but unable to find rest for himself. He kept recalling the feeling of her fingertips against his jaw. His neck. Her lips touching his skin. The memories left heat burning through his veins. Mikael had tossed and turned until he finally got up and sat outside the hut, letting the frigid mountain air cool his head.

    He'd wanted to wake her and demand that they discuss...whatever it was that was happening. He managed to restrain himself somehow. He left her alone, and she carried on as though nothing had changed. But something was changing. She knew it as well as he did. She had to. No amount of ignorance could change that.

    Mikael hit the ground and spat out a mouthful of dirt. "You're off in your own world today," Nyx said, balancing a metal staff over his shoulder. "Everything all right?"

    "I have no idea," Mikael replied. He picked himself up, spitting out more dirt. "Illyrian dirt tastes just as coarse as Ze'ev sounds."

    Nyx laughed, falling into a starting position. "With the amount of dirt you've eaten today, I doubt you'll be hungry for any food at Rita's."

    "Rita's?"

    "Don't tell me you've forgotten."

    Mikael rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Like you said, I've been off in my own world today."

    Nyx rolled his eyes. "We're all going to our favorite night club in Velaris this evening."

    "Right. Why, again?"

    "Because Celeste and Lys were going to go by themselves and the rest of us decided to tag along too."

    "That seems a little unnecessary. Would you appreciate it if six other people followed you around while you were visiting your mysterious lover?"

    "We aren't actually going with them. They're still going by themselves. We'll just be there too."

    "My point still stands."

    "Let's get back to training before Devlon decides to make us stay late."

    Mikael kicked his staff off the ground and caught it. Nyx dug his staff into the dirt and launched himself at Mikael. He caught Nyx's leg against his own and jabbed his staff into the male's chest.

    Nyx staggered backwards, but recovered himself and rolled beneath Mikael's next attack. "You and Estelle have been rather distant from one another. Did you argue again?" Nyx asked. He dropped to his knees and swept Mikael's legs.

    He hit the ground and raised his staff, parrying Nyx's blow. "Not exactly," Mikael huffed. He hooked his knee against Nyx's leg and tossed the Illyrian over his head.

    "What's going on?" Nyx righted himself and they began to circle one another.

    "I wish I knew."

    They fell silent, trading faster and harder blows. Mikael fluffed his feathers out as a particularly cool breeze wafted through the air. He caught sight of Estelle from the corner of his eye. She was training with Celeste and Sienna in another ring.

    As if sensing his gaze, she turned towards him. Mikael doubled over backwards, barely avoiding Nyx's next attack. He snapped upright, hooking the curve of his wing around Nyx's chest. He slammed the male down and backed away, twirling his staff between his fingers. Estelle smiled before returning her focus to her own opponents.