20. Sentimental Plans

Mikael found himself unable to sleep, so he set to work writing a letter to his fathers. Thesan would be happy to hear that he and Estelle had apologized to each other. Hopefully, things would continue to improve from there. Still, Mikael wished it hadn't taken something so horrible to prompt their apologies.

    He lowered his pen briefly and watched Estelle. She was soundly asleep, curled into a small ball with her wings folded over her. How had she managed to calm herself so quickly after such an ordeal? He couldn't shake the thought from his mind that perhaps she'd experienced something similar before.

    Anger twisted in his gut. He'd wanted to kill Ze'ev the moment he laid eyes on him. He'd wanted to kill Ronan and the other males too. It had taken all of his self restraint not to spear them through the heart with magic.

    Daggers through her wings. Her leathers ripped down to her elbows. Ze'ev pressing rough kisses to her skin. The pen snapped in half within Mikael's grasp. He raised his eyebrows, then hastily tucked it out of sight and retrieved another one.

    Umbra was no longer with him. The shadow had returned to Estelle and was curled against her cheek. All of the shadows were pressed against her tightly. Mikael rubbed his forehead, thinking. There were so many ways she could've gotten herself out of the situation, even while drunk. Then again, she hadn't been thinking clearly.

    Mikael sighed and ran a hand over his face. At least he'd listened to his instincts and found her. She was safe. She had apologized, and she had forgiven him. The front door creaked open and Mikael stiffened. He opened the bedroom door a fraction.

    Nyx walked past, then froze at the sight of him. "I wasn't expecting anyone to still be up."

    "I couldn't sleep," Mikael replied. I should tell him what happened. He needs to know. He glanced back at Estelle's sleeping form and sighed. It's not my secret to tell. I can only encourage her to tell them. I won't tell them for her. Not unless I feel like I absolutely have to.

    "Is everything all right?" Nyx asked.

    "Yes, everything is fine. Where were you?"

    "Estelle didn't tell you?"

    "She was a little...preoccupied this evening."

    "Dad called me to the Summer Court at the last minute."

    Mikael nodded and Nyx continued past. His scent trailed in his wake. Mikael recognized the rosy scent of the Spring Court overlapping Nyx's. There was a third scent too. A female's. Cherry blossoms and mist. Nyx hadn't gone to the Summer Court. He'd been in the Spring Court with a female.

    Mikael closed the door and stared at Estelle again. She had to have known if Nyx had asked her to tell everyone where he'd gone. Did that mean Lysander and Corbin knew as well, or just Estelle? Mikael shook his head and folded up his letter. This family certainly kept a lot of secrets. He wasn't keen on discovering them all. Golden magic swirled around the letter and it vanished from sight. It would be waiting on his father's desk by the time he woke.

    Umbra returned to Mikael's arm as he climbed into bed. He still didn't sleep. He lay awake, watching Estelle. He remained that way even as the first rays of dawn spilled through the window.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Estelle woke and stretched before rolling out of bed. Her head was surprisingly clear. Either she'd slept through a hangover or Mikael's magic could miraculously prevent them. If that was true though, why hadn't he cured his own when they first met?