30. Longing Moments

Estelle focused her magic between her palms, flooding the room with golden light. She'd practiced this trick every day. It was gradually getting easier. Hopefully when they returned to the Dawn Court tomorrow and she demonstrated her newfound control, Thesan would agree to teach her something new.

    Mikael sat on his bed, shielding himself just in case she lost focus. He gave her an occasional pointer, but for the most part, he was silent. He hadn't brought up the conversation they'd had at the dance, but Estelle knew it was on his mind. The shadows were constantly reminding her of that fact.

    "Your magic is mostly smooth today, not crackly," Mikael remarked. "That's good. Father will be impressed."

    "Do you think he'll agree to start teaching me something new?"

    Mikael nodded. "He'll probably start teaching you how to manipulate your magic while it's in a controlled form."

    She grimaced. "I might hit you while attempting something like that."

    "Wouldn't be the first time, Batsy," he laughed. "You haven't hurt me yet." Mikael knit his brows. "Well, you haven't hurt me while using magic, anyway."

    Estelle grinned. "Are you still bruised from training yesterday?"

    Mikael nodded and she couldn't help but laugh. True to his word, Mikael had walked around with a leather canteen dangling from his belt. Every time he was knocked off his feet by an opponent, he took a drink from it. He had been thoroughly drunk by midday and Estelle dragged him out of the training rings before Devlon or Jorah caught sight of him.

    They'd gone to a rocky clearing beyond the camp and continued training on their own. Estelle spent most of the session laughing as Mikael tripped over his own feet. He was bruised more from falling than from her kicks and punches. She'd seen some of them when he changed out of his leathers and pulled a different shirt on. Not that she'd been looking intentionally, of course.

    "How's your head?" Estelle asked, dissipating her magic. She crossed the room and brushed her knuckles across his forehead. His brown hair tickled her fingers.

    "Better than it was before. That's the last time I'll be doing that for a while."

    "Why did you do it anyway?" Estelle snickered.

    Mikael grinned. "Because I thought it would be funny."

    "It was funny."

    "It was funny for me too, at first. Then I became bruised and hungover."

    Estelle perked up, hearing the front door open. Lysander, Celeste, and Sienna's muffled voices filled the house. "It was still funny." She pulled Mikael to his feet. "Come on."

    "Where are we going?"

    "We were going to visit my parents. It's our last day here, remember? We're going back to the Dawn Court tomorrow. You made a list of Peregryns for the exchange and sent it to your fathers last night."

    "I did?" Mikael ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't remember."

    "That's not surprising." Estelle smothered a snort of laughter. She opened the bedroom door and they headed out to the main room.

    Lysander glanced up as they arrived. "Nyx, Calden, and Corbin went to the House of Wind to see Nesta and Cassian."

    Estelle nodded and everyone filed out of the house. They all grabbed onto her. Shadows swarmed the entire group, carrying them out of Windhaven and back to Velaris. They landed before the townhouse along the bank of the Sidra.