36. Snowfilled Days

The weeks began to blur together. Mikael's days were full of training and spending time with Estelle and his friends. With each passing day, he found himself thinking more and more about the conversation he'd had with his fathers.

Did he know the reason behind his instincts? Did he know the truth? He had an idea, but he wasn't certain. Not yet. Estelle showed no signs of feeling what he did, and he didn't ask her about it. He would figure it out on his own first.

Winter was right around the corner and the Illyrian Mountains were freezing. Already, several snowstorms had passed through. They woke every morning to frost on the ground. Mikael wasn't certain how they'd be able to accomplish any training when the snows became heavier, but Estelle assured him that Devlon had ways.

"Calden mentioned that your birthday is soon," Estelle said. She sat on her bed, watching as he fluffed out his damp feathers. He found that they took longer to dry after he showered, now that the hut was colder. "Is there anything in particular you'd like?"

Mikael shook his head. "Never ask me that question. I hate being asked what gifts I want."

"Why?" She laughed.

"Because I don't know what to say. There are things I want and need, but they aren't things I'm willing to ask for." Mikael grabbed his preening comb off a nightstand. "I'll be happy with anything."

"Hm." Estelle tapped her chin thoughtfully. "All right. I'll see what I can come up with." She crossed the room and sat on the bed beside him. "May I?" She pointed to the preening comb.

Mikael raised his eyebrows. Estelle had never touched his wings before. He'd never even considered asking to touch hers after the few times he had healed them. "Sure." He handed her the comb.

Estelle's hands were gentle as she ran her fingers over his feathers. She began to preen them cautiously, using the method he often did. She must have memorized what I did while she was watching me, Mikael thought. He shivered as the shadows drifted onto his wings.

"Do you want me to order them away?" Estelle asked.

"No, it just tickles."

She smiled and continued working. "It's a good thing that Peregryn wings aren't as sensitive as Illyrian ones."

"I suppose you're right."

She finished with the backs of his wings and shifted in front of him. Mikael tilted his head, spying her pendant dangling from her neck. She always wore it, albeit it was usually tucked out of sight beneath her leathers.

Mikael touched it, recognizing the hum of magical energy radiating from the silver. "Why do you wear this? I've noticed that Lysander and your parents each have one too."

"Dad had them made for us. He gave Mom hers shortly after I was born. They gave me mine when I was old enough to wear it without trying to eat it."

"They're magical."

Estelle nodded. Mikael swallowed with a quick inhale as her hands drifted higher on his wings. "Dad had them enchanted. As long as we wear them, we will never be lost. The pendants can guide us to each other and lead us home."

"Why do you need enchanted pendants?"

Estelle sighed. "Dad was killed during the War with Koschei. He was resurrected by the Amulet, but the trauma of his death has lingered with him and Mom ever since. They wanted a way to feel safe and connected, no matter how far apart they were."

"Doesn't the Mating Bond help with that?"

"Yes, but when Dad died, the Bond broke." Estelle returned the comb to him. Mikael took it wordlessly. "Mom told me about it. She said it was even more painful than when Beron's sons burned her hands. More painful than the torture she has endured. She said she could feel Dad's agony and felt the snap of each thread making up the Mating Bond as it broke. When he died, half of her died as well."