47. Strained Relationships

The sun had fully set by the time they reached Windhaven. Rhysand, Cassian, and Azriel only lingered in the camp a few minutes. They, along with Devlon, took four groups out to search for Estelle. Mikael was determined to keep looking too. Until his wings fell off, if that was how long it took, but Seren had grabbed his arm and led him into a hut, along with Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin.

She seemed a little calmer now as she and Jorah dished up bowls of hot stew for them to eat. Mikael accepted his wordlessly, but didn't take a bite. He stared out the window at the mountains, stroking the Bond in his chest.

Nyx and Lysander poked at their food. Corbin seemed to be the only one with any appetite. His gaze was vacant too though, even as he shoveled stew into his mouth. "Eat, Boys," Seren murmured. "Staying cold and hungry won't help us find her any faster."

Nyx and Lysander obediently ate a little more. Mikael managed to take a few bites. He squeezed his eyes shut against stinging tears. His mate was out there, cold, hungry, and bleeding. He should be looking for her. He had to find her.

"Is there anything we can be doing here?" Nyx asked. "I need to stay busy." Lysander and Corbin nodded their agreement.

"You can help me find a few more volunteers to accompany you on your next search," Jorah replied. She drew her hand away from Seren's shoulder and beckoned for the three of them to follow. They left the hut, a gust of cold air swirling in their wake.

Seren sat down across from Mikael. She pushed his bowl closer to him. "Eat."

"Have you?" He asked.

She managed a small smile. "Jorah fed me as though I were a baby. I am not afraid to do the same to you."

Mikael looked away, but ate some more. The stew was good. Much better than some of the things he'd previously eaten while at the war camp. His stomach clenched with anxiety and he lowered his head onto the table, crossing his arms over it. He struggled to draw even breaths.

Seren moved beside him and rested her hand on his shoulder. She said nothing. Neither did Mikael. He smothered his sobs, but his shoulders shook and a few tears dripped from the end of his nose.

Estelle! He called across the Bond. Answer me, please! Where are you? Are you all right? Nothing. Umbra didn't even move. Mikael wiped his tears away, but more fell. He covered his face with his hands. Please let her be all right, he pleaded. Please let me find her. Please don't take her from me.

Umbra clenched his arm. Mikael lowered his hands. "What is that?" Seren asked, drifting closer to a window. Mikael followed her gaze. Something appeared, then vanished again, barely visible in the dark sky.

Seren ran out the door and Mikael followed. The air was frigid, even through his Illyrian leathers. Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin were nearby, along with Jorah. "Dad, Rhys, and Cassian are coming back," Lysander murmured to Seren.

"They found her?" She asked hopefully.

Lysander shook his head. "Nyx showed Rhys whatever that is." He gestured to the object overhead. "They want to investigate. It could be the thing that attacked Estelle."

Mikael tilted his head, studying the object a little closer. Something warm splashed against his cheek. He wiped it off with his fingers, then tensed. Blood. It was blood. His head snapped up again. Tattered wings unfurled as the creature reappeared...and plummeted.

Estelle, Mikael realized. He was already running. "Estelle!" He screamed, throwing himself in the air. The shadows were unmoving around her. She didn't seem to be awake. Her wings were in ribbons.