7. Falsified Rebuttal

His humor had fully given way to a sour mood. This is the first time we've actually spoken to each other, and that's what she says? Mikael griped to himself.

He hated the look of disapproval she'd worn as well. He'd seen her shoot a similar glance at his father's back. Mikael somewhat deserved her rebuke and disgust. It was his own fault, after all. But he wouldn't stand there and let her judge his father for the choices he had made.

The clouds dispersed and the Peregryn training grounds appeared in a mountain valley below them. The sounds of clashing steel rose to greet them. Mikael winced as they drew closer. The sound was abnormally loud in his pointed ears.

He landed and Estelle and Nyx reached the ground a moment later. Mikael swept his gaze over the training grounds. There was no sign of Calden, Celeste, or Sienna. He hoped they'd made it out of his room before his fathers went to investigate.

"So this is where the Peregryn Legion trains," Nyx remarked, appearing beside him. "Is the entire legion in this one camp?"

"Yes. This is where our warriors live. Males and females live separately unless they're married and have a family. Then, they're allowed to share a home."

"Have you ever lived here? I had to live in Windhaven for several months when I first began my training. Estelle too." Nyx jerked his head back towards his cousin. Estelle was studying the layout of the training grounds with a critical eye.

"I've never had to stay here," Mikael replied. "I train here about four hours a day and spend the rest of my time in the villages or back at the Palace. I have friends who live here, though."

"How do you spend your time in the Palace? I'd die of boredom if I stayed at my home any longer than I already do," Nyx chuckled.

Mikael felt a small lull in his dark mood. His headache was lessening thanks to the fresh air. Nyx's friendliness was helping as well. "I like to read. I'm a scholar."

"Have you learned any interesting spells from your readings?"

Mikael shook his head. "None that I'm allowed to practice."

Nyx gave him a small smile. "I can't practice my magic much either, but for different reasons I suppose. My cousins and I all possess Illyrian magic, which is wildly unpredictable. Without siphons to control it, it's dangerous to use. Really the only thing I can do safely is winnow."

"Why don't you have siphons then?" Mikael asked.

He'd read about the unique gems that Illyrian warriors bore. Oftentimes, he'd wondered if they would channel his own magic. Apparently, siphons were just as fickle as Illyrian magic itself. If the siphons couldn't properly conduct a person's magic, they broke. Rhysand, Nyx's father, was among those who couldn't wield siphons. He shuddered to think what devastating power the High Lord would have if he could.

"We won't receive siphons until we become full warriors, or it's deemed necessary," Nyx explained.

"Do you think they'll work with your magic?"

Nyx nodded. "I'm three-quarters Illyrian. My magic will bear more likeness to theirs than to that of a High Fae."

"What about her?" He jerked his head towards Estelle. She was either ignoring him at this point, or was actually invested in learning the layout of the grounds.

"She's half Illyrian, half High Fae, but her magic is just as unpredictable as any Illyrian's. Siphons will work for her too, we've been told." Nyx followed his gaze towards Estelle. "I'm sorry about her behavior. She isn't usually so rude."