48. Revival and Truth

Minutes blurred into hours. Hours blurred into days. Days blurred into weeks. Mikael did nothing but eat, sleep, and train. He refused to return to the Dawn Court when the next exchange occurred. The Peregryns and Illyrians left without him. Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin stayed behind as well. No one argued with their decision.

Estelle still hadn't woken up, although Seren assured him that she was doing better. Madja and Amren were almost done healing her wings. All of her other wounds were practically healed. She was safe from any fear of sickness that might have been brought on due to her exposure to the cold.

That didn't stop Mikael from worrying. He wouldn't stop until he saw her for himself. Until he held her in his arms and she wasn't covered in blood. Until he felt her return the gestures he sent across the Bond every few minutes. Until she was awake and well and herself once again.

His fathers sent him frequent letters, asking for updates about her progress and making sure he was doing all right too. Celeste, Sienna, and Calden had accompanied the Peregryns that came to Windhaven, but Mikael hardly spoke to them. He, Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin went there for training in the morning and returned to Velaris in the evenings.

He knew he needed to talk to his friends. He knew he should stay with them, or at least see if they could accompany him to Velaris, but he didn't want to. They would try to distract him from his concerns. They would try to get him to talk and have fun. He didn't want to do any of that. He just wanted to see Estelle. He just wanted his mate.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle blinked her eyes open wearily. Her head ached and she was laying on her stomach for some reason. She shifted and dull pain throbbed through her limbs. Estelle raised her head, peering back over her shoulder. Her wings were wrapped in bandages. Only her curved horns were visible.

Shadows curled across her cheek. We are safe, they said. You are healed. You will be all right. We are sorry we could not do more. We are sorry we did not warn you sooner.

It's all right, Estelle managed to reply. I'm all right. We're safe. That's what's important.

She gradually began to recognize her surroundings. She was in her room at home. She was in Velaris. A fire crackled on the hearth and snowflakes blew against the window panes. A familiar figure slouched in a chair close by.

"Dad," Estelle rasped.

His dark head snapped up. Relief flooded Azriel's hazel eyes as he ran to her. He knelt beside her bed, stroking her short hair and gently squeezing her hand. Tears flooded his gaze and he looked away briefly.

"How long has it been?" Her voice dropped to a whisper.

"About four weeks," he replied. His own voice was choked with emotion. He pressed a kiss to her temple. "We were so worried." Azriel touched their foreheads together. "We were so worried, Little Bat."

"I don't know what happened," Estelle said, tears misting her vision. "I couldn't see, smell, or hear whatever was attacking me. I lost my weapons and siphons."

Azriel shook his head. "The Boys found them when they were searching for you. They're over there." He jerked his chin to the other side of the room. "I should go tell Madja, and find your mother." He stood. "Mikael is still here. He refused to go back to the Dawn Court. Do you want me to send for him?"

Estelle bit her lip, thinking. "Not yet. There's something I need to tell you and Mom first. Lysander too."

Azriel knit his brows, but nodded. "I'll be right back, Sweetheart." He kissed her forehead and stepped out of the room.