16. A Mother's Woes

Mikael finished healing Estelle's wing before checking on her. He bent low and lifted her eyelid. Only the whites of her eye showed. She was unconscious. He'd known that when she let go of the bed and hit the floor with a thud. Umbra had jerked towards her at once, but he'd ignored the shadow.

    He let his magic resurface and rubbed his hands along the scarred lengths of her wings' central tendons, hoping to reduce any lingering aches. Her scars were rough beneath his fingers, although her wings themselves were surprisingly soft.

    Mikael gave a heavy sigh. I didn't think it would actually make her pass out, he thought. She didn't scream nearly as loud as I did, and my wings were in better shape than hers. He'd found only a few tears along her tendons from her fight with Ze'ev, thankfully.

    Umbra slid down his arm and nestled in Estelle's hair. He gave the shadow a small smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize she was going to faint."

    The rest of the shadows wrapped themselves around Estelle's arms. Mikael scooted back a short distance. He tilted his head, studying her. Her features were relaxed for once. The corners of her lips were upturned in a natural smile. Her lashes curled against her freckled cheeks, fluttering occasionally. Locks of stray hair hung across her forehead.

    Mikael's gaze wandered down the length of her bare arms. She bore a few scars, but nothing like the terrible burns that covered both of her parents' hands. All the same, Mikael wondered at the origin of them, as well as the scars on her wings.

    He'd researched wing clipping after their second argument. There were several methods of doing it. Most preferred to bind the wings and shred the central tendons with a dagger. Estelle's scars looked as though someone had tried slicing her tendons with scissors while she'd been struggling.

    Mikael's gut clenched in anger. Did someone try to clip her wings? Was that why she was so sensitive about it? Was that where these specifically placed scars came from? Did that male, Ze'ev, have something to do with it? Mikael blinked and shook his head, trying to push his anger aside.

    He closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall. Why was this making him so angry? Mikael rubbed his forehead wearily. It was just...instinct. He would have those instincts with anyone. Celeste, Sienna... Wouldn't he?

    Mikael inhaled deeply. He'd never been around Estelle long enough to catch her scent. Only brief whiffs of it when they sparred. Now, it permeated the air, along with his own. She smelled of smoke and snowdrops. His scent carried the freshness of morning dew and crisp mountain air.

    Umbra situated itself on his arm once more. Mikael opened his eyes, hearing the door slam open. Feet pounded in the hallway and Lysander came into view, his eyes wide with fear. He stared between Estelle and Mikael, his fear changing into anger.

    Mikael grunted as Lysander hauled him to his feet and shoved him back against the wall. "What did you do to my sister?" He snarled.

    "She's fine. I just..."

    Lysander wrapped a fist around his throat. Mikael gasped as his airflow was severed. "She doesn't look fine!"

    "Listen to me," Mikael rasped. He wedged his knee between them and jammed it into Lysander's gut. The male released him, staggering backwards. "I healed her wings but she fainted during the process. She's fine."

    Lysander glared at him, then crouched beside Estelle. "Es." He shook her. "Essie. Can you hear me?" Estelle blinked her eyes open with a groan. Lysander gave a sigh of relief. She sat up, touching her temple gingerly. "Are you all right?" Lysander asked. "Dad showed up and said his shadows were worried something happened to you."