52. Surfacing Doubts

Estelle prepared quietly in her room at the cottage. She didn't retrieve her siphons and weapons, knowing that she wouldn't be able to use them on the mountain anyway. Their absence left her feeling only half dressed. She'd grown used to the weight of her siphons on her hands, and the comforting presence of Znaniya on her thigh and Aesira at her back. She felt incomplete without the objects.

Estelle sat on the edge of her bed, waiting. Mikael had told her to meet him at the outskirts of the grounds at moon high. She had a few minutes before she needed to leave. The shadows curled over her ears.

Are you sure this is the right thing to do? They asked.

Estelle sighed. Honestly, I don't know. I don't know what the consequences for this could be. We might not even make it to the Fountain of Dawn. There could be snow storms, avalanches, or landslides. Wild animals. Maybe worse.

Persuade the Prince of Sunrises to rethink his plan.

I won't be able to. You heard him just as clearly as I did. He thinks he has to do this to prove himself to his people. Estelle stroked the Bond and Mikael returned the gesture. I wish he could see himself the way I see him. The way his fathers and his friends see him, but he just can't seem to get past what his people think.

He will learn.

I know he will.

Ask him not to go, the shadows pleaded.

He won't listen. I know I can't talk him out of it. That's why I'm going with him. Estelle slid off her bed and crept out of her room.

She kept her footsteps light on the stairs, using the shadows to muffle any sound she might make. Estelle pulled them tight around herself as she passed Celeste and Sienna's bedrooms. Sienna's door was shut, but Celeste's was wide open. Estelle couldn't risk being seen.

She remained hidden in the shadows as she left the cottage. Estelle made her way through the empty streets, heading for her appointed meeting place with Mikael. Apprehension coiled in her stomach, but she tried not to dwell on it. If her mate was doing this, so was she. She wouldn't let him face it alone.

Estelle reached the meeting place. Mikael wasn't there yet. She released the shadows, but they remained alert, keeping themselves tucked close to her body protectively. Estelle crossed her arms. The night air was still cold, despite winter coming to an end. The mountains here and back around Windhaven would still receive snow and cold weather for a while.

The shadows tensed suddenly, and Estelle fell into a defensive stance, reaching for the unbridled magic that crackled through her veins. Nyx stepped into the open, raising his hands in surrender. "It's just me, Essie." Estelle straightened. "What are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Estelle replied.

"I was talking to Venelia. I wanted to be somewhere quiet so no one would interrupt me."

"Oh. Is she all right?"

"She's fine. She hasn't heard anything from her father. Dad has scouts watching the border and Azriel sent spies to monitor Tamlin, just in case." Estelle gave a slow nod. "What are you doing out here?" Nyx repeated.

"Waiting for Mikael," Estelle answered vaguely.

Nyx raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"We wanted to spend time together."

"Why didn't you just stay with him at the Palace after your magic lessons today?"

"I..." Estelle hesitated. Nyx came closer and cold talons brushed against her mental shields. "Stop trying to read my mind, you prick."