41. A Gift From the Heart

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

"Wake up!"

"Happy Solstice!"

Estelle gasped as two people jumped onto her bed. She lurched upright, siphons flaring with gold light. Celeste and Sienna grabbed her hands and pushed them away. Estelle groaned, flopping back onto her pillows.

"You should know better than to do that," she muttered. "Znaniya is beneath my pillow. What if I had reached for it instead?"

"We knew you wouldn't," Celeste laughed. They both rolled off the bed. "Come on. Get up."

"Why? There's no training today. I can sleep a little longer." Estelle twisted onto her stomach.

"It's the Winter Solstice! We've been invited to the Palace and we're going to the dance hall later. You should get up so we can leave," Sienna explained. She grabbed Estelle's hand, tugging her towards the edge of the bed.

Estelle sighed and tumbled out from beneath the covers. She combed her fingers through her tangled mop of curls and shook them out. Shadows wove through them. Sienna laughed, ducking out the door. Celeste remained.

"Did you need something?" Estelle asked, gathering up her clothes.

"I have a Solstice gift for you," Celeste replied. "I'll be right back." She left the room.

Estelle dressed quickly. Only a few minutes later, Celeste returned, carrying a large box. She set it on Estelle's bed and backed away. Estelle opened it and bit her lip, eyeing the contents warily.

"I know you don't like dresses and I know I pressured you into wearing one to Rita's. I'm sorry, Estelle. I really am. I promise it won't happen again," Celeste apologized. "I wanted to get this for you anyway though. I thought that maybe someday, you'll be able to wear it. When you're ready."

Estelle smiled softly, lifting the gown out of the box. She spread it out, taking in the intricate details. The bodice was made of a deep black material and covered with lace, overplayed by glittering ebony diamonds. The sleeves were bell shaped and wrist length, and the neckline plunged down to the waist of the bodice. The back of the gown hung just as low as the neckline.

From there, the lacy diamond material faded into the folds of the skirt. It was fitted around the hips and flared out from the knees to the hemline. A long slit traveled up the front of the skirt, no doubt placed there to flaunt the wearer's legs.

"It's...beautiful, Celeste. I hope you're right, and I'll be able to wear it." Estelle traced her fingers over the diamonds.

This was something her younger self would have died to wear while performing. Something she would have loved to show her Aunt Mor. Why couldn't she get past her subconscious fears that rose every time she put a dress on? Whenever she tried to sing? Why had she let what happened with Ze'ev and his brothers and father traumatize her to that point?

"Estelle?" Celeste called.

She glanced over her shoulder. "I'm all right. Sorry. I was just thinking. I love it, Celeste. I really do. I'm not mad at you and I don't blame you for what happened. Don't worry."

Celeste pulled her into a brief hug, then smiled and started towards the door. "We should go before Sienna gets impatient." She left the room and footsteps pounded on the stairs.

Estelle folded the gown up and returned it to the box with a heavy sigh. Someday, she thought. I will be able to wear that someday. Shadows curled over her neck, offering their support and comfort.