58. Deciding Claims

Estelle sat on the bed beside Mikael's unconscious form, stroking his hair. Thesan held glowing hands over one of Mikael's injuries, healing it effortlessly. Ameer wasn't at the Palace. He had remained at the training grounds to deal with the aftermath of Ronan's death.

The shadows nestled in Mikael's hair and rubbed against his cheek. The Prince of Sunrises has no dreams, they said. His sleep is empty and restless.

That's because he's unconscious, not exactly asleep, Estelle replied.

Thesan straightened with a weary sigh. "He'll be all right. Just a little bruised and sore." The High Lord headed towards the door.

"I killed Ronan. Will there be consequences?" Estelle asked, not looking away from Mikael. She'd been fighting her instincts the entire time he dueled Ronan. Now, they urged her to protect him and not let him out of her sight.

"No," Thesan murmured. "Ronan broke the rules of the Vendetta by attacking Mikael after the fight had been won. You were in your rights to kill him to protect Mikael. If you hadn't moved when you did, I would've beat you to it."

"I didn't know it was a competition. I'd have given you a head start." Estelle lifted her gaze briefly, a smile playing on her lips.

Thesan returned it. "You had more of a right to Ronan's life than I did."

She shook her head. "That's not true. And, anyway, I wish Mikael had done it."

Thesan rested his hand on the doorframe, glancing at his son. Estelle resisted the urge to hide him with her wings. The shadows whispered soothing words in her ears, helping her remain calm.

"I'm glad he didn't," Thesan said, at last. "Everyone in that camp knows how Ronan treated Mikael. Watching him spare Ronan's life, when he had every right to take it, shows them who he really is and what he's capable of. Did you see the way they looked at the two of you before Mikael passed out?"

Estelle shook her head. She'd been too focused on her mate. On the blood staining his clothes. The dirt on his face. The bruises around his throat. The rasp in his voice and the wheeze in his lungs. She bent down, resting her head on Mikael's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart and the ease with which he drew breath.

"How did they look at us?" She murmured.

"Most of them looked at you, you specifically, with fear. The rest of them watched you both, watched Mikael, and bowed their heads in respect when you walked past." Thesan swallowed, another smile flickering across his lips. "They have finally shown him respect." He ducked out the door without another word.

Estelle squeezed her eyes shut. You shouldn't have had to almost die just for them to begin showing you respect, she thought.

Warm, flaming talons scraped at her mental shields presently. Estelle lowered them and her mother's presence swept in. What the hell, Estelle? Seren demanded. What were you thinking? Do you know how worried we've been? We only just received a letter from Commander Ameer, letting us know you're back. Are you all right?

I'm fine, Mom, Estelle replied. I know I worried you. I'm sorry, but I had to go. I couldn't let Mikael go on his own. You should understand that.

I do, but you couldn't have told me first?

Thesan and Ameer said the same thing. Nyx knew where we'd gone.

I know! He's the one who told me! You can't just... You need to... Seren gave a frustrated groan.

I'm all right, Mom. I swear.